News from around the Irish counties
(Source: The Longford Leader)
A Drogheda woman, who plotted the arson of her own home with her then boyfriend in Leeds 15 years ago, has been found dead in a house in the Yorkshire city. A man has been charged with her murder.Amanda Hartley (nee McKenna) was sentenced to five years in prison on manslaughter charges following the fire in 1994, which claimed the life of her 22month-old son, Jimmy Cunningham.
(Source: The Drogheda Independent)
A 29-year-old man appeared at a special sitting of Castlebar District Court last Thursday charged with the murder of his mother. Seamus Marrinan of Blackfort, Castlebar appeared before Judge Mary Devins charged with the murder of his 61-year-old mother, Carmel Marrinan at their home in Blackfort, Castlebar.
(Source: The Mayo News)
Trim is quickly gaining a reputation as the home of satire in Ireland following the huge success of the second Trim Swift Festival that took place in the town the weekend before last. Festival chairperson Barbara Nestor said she was delighted with the growth of the festival since last year and said that a lot more people had attended the free events and feedback to this year had been great. She added that a lot of people from Dublin had attended, showing that the festival is growing outside the local area and attracting people from outside the county.
(Source: The Meath Chronicle)
County Monaghan is set to get a huge funding boost of almost €140,000 from two major schemes. This news was revealed at a meeting of Monaghan County Council on Monday last, and welcomed by Mayor of Co Monaghan Heather Humphreys. Community Development Fund for 2009 is to benefit 63 applicants with a combined total of over €72,000. Funding to the value of €66,000 for a further ten projects will also increase under the Conservation Grants Scheme for protected structures. The grants will provide assistance to owners of protected historic buildings for the repair and conservation of their properties.
(Source: The Monaghan Post)
Leading contract sterilization provider, Isotron, has just completed its new electron beam sterilization facility in Tullamore. An Taoiseach Brian Cowen officially opened the new facility, which cost €8.5m, last Monday. Isotron, which began its Tullamore operation in 1994, sterilizes approximately 60 percent of all medical device products manufactured in Ireland, with the remaining 40 percent processed by companies in house or at offshore sterilization facilities. “Isotron started with 15 employees. Today, it employs 76 people in Tullamore and 11 in Westport; and the Tullamore site is positioned to be one of the world’s largest sterilization centers. As our only sterilization provider, Isotron is of key infrastructural importance in attracting Medical Technology companies to Ireland,” said Cowen.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Photo shows Irish revolutionaries three years...
@whitecastle0: I'm not sure how the author linked this man to Ireland. I speculate his ancestry was traced to Ireland. Or perhaps his last name prefixNelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
branagh The I R A was labeled terrorist because it Chose to kill Non Combatants, including Women & Children. Soldiers are uniformed to distinguishRacist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent says Immigrant Council
eiriamach ;- what gives you the right to attribute to me a quote made up by yourself...."I'd welcome immigrants and refugees, if generosity and o“An amplifier for the native voice” Glucksman Ireland House NYU reflects on 2013
Glucksman. Good Irish name, that.