News from around the 32 counties of Ireland
What's going on in your home county in Ireland
A Longford mass-card salesman who was jailed for 18 months for being in possession of images of child pornography is to get his passport back, despite objections from the State.
Thomas McNally (52), Foynes Court, County Longford has been given permission to travel to China with his wife – despite the fact that Gardaí (police) have stated that if he fails to return, there will be no way of getting McNally back to Ireland.
Counsel for the State, Desmond Dockery B.L., told the hearing that the defendant had “acquired a Chinese wife.”
[Source: Longford Leader]
A judge said no purpose would be served in a 49-year-old father of three serving a custodial sentence who discharged a shotgun at a house in a local estate in the early hours of the morning.
Dundalk Circuit Court heard that Gary McAreavey of Gort Nua, Station Road , Castlebellingham fired three shots from the shotgun causing damage to the house and grazed the side of the head of another man. He pleaded guilty to the reckless discharge of the firearm on October 18, 2009.
It was stated there was street disturbances and the accused received a message that his wife had been killed.
[Source: Dundalk Democrat]
A Westport man who indulged in a “year of bullying and intimidation of a child” by sending threatening and offensive text messages received a six-month suspended prison sentence two weeks ago at a sitting of Westport District Court.
The sustained campaign against Harry Langan was waged over 10 months, prompting his parents to go public with their plight in The Mayo News last May in a bid to stop the harassment.
Brian Flynn (27) of Lanmore, Liscarney, Westport harassed now-15-year-old Harry Langan between November 2011 and August 2012, during which time the teenager received up to 500 text messages of a sexual, threatening, obscene and malicious nature.
Judge Mary Devins said the young boy was so bullied and intimidated that he could well have suffered from much more serious consequences and paid tribute to his parents, Brian and Gemma.
[Source: The Mayo News]
A new $285,000 tourist driving route for counties Meath and Louth has been launched by Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport Leo Varadkar. The Boyne Valley Drive, 140 miles in length and taking in 22 historic sites along the way, is a collaborative project between Fáilte Ireland and the local authorities in Meath and Louth, which seeks to revitalize the region and promote it as a must-visit destination for overseas tourists.
The new route will promote the area as one of world renowned heritage with some of the best examples to be found anywhere. The sites featured along the way include Bru Na Boinne (the U.N.E.S.C.O. World Heritage sites at Newgrange Knowth Dowth), Trim Castle, Monasterboice, Slane Castle and Mellifont Abbey.
[Source: Meath Chronicle]
A man who was involved in the fatal hit-and-run of a young Monaghan cyclist was on bail and serving a suspended sentence for a number of thefts at the time of the accident, writes Declan Brennan.
- Good Morning America says Sasha and Malia...
- Sinn Fein deputy leader speaks out against...
- Michelle Obama and daughters trace their...
- Former church spokesman criticised for using...
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at...
- Daily Mail unloads on 'drunken young' Paddys...
- Dating website for ‘homosensible’ Catholic...
- Michelle Obama and daughters visit Glendalough.
- Body of Irish immigrant tossed in medical...
- Massive outpouring of support as $65,000...