News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties
What's going on in new around Ireland
A man has pleaded guilty to the possession of a sawn-off shotgun and two cartridges.
Eamon Lennon (36), of Iniskeen, County Monaghan, pleaded guilty at the Special Criminal Court to the unlawful possession of a sawn-off 12-gauge side-by-side shotgun and possession of two 12-gauge Eley shotgun cartridges at Ecco Road, Dundalk, Co. Louth on August 8, 2010.
Presiding judge Mr. Justice Paul Butler, sitting with Judge Margaret Heneghan and Judge William Hamill, remanded the accused man in custody, to appear before the non-jury court on December 6.
[Source: Evening Herald]
Police in Wales searching for missing Offaly woman Catherine Gowing have discovered human remains.
Search Teams and the Regional Underwater Search Team deployed in Sealand, Flintshire discovered the remains in a shallow pool within the field known locally as the “Lum.”
The search targeted the area following information received from members of the public.
Senior Investigating Officer D.C.I. Mark Pierce commented, “At this time those remains have yet to be formally identified as this will require medical as well as forensic examination. A post-mortem is planned for later today (Thursday, November 1). At this time we are not able to comment further however Catherine Gowing’s family have been informed of this distressing development and clearly our thoughts are with them at this very difficult time. I would ask that they be allowed privacy to come to terms with this news.”
[Source: Offaly Express]
The alleged “inappropriate use” of monies from a fund held by prison officers at Castlerea Prison is being referred to the Garda (police) commissioner, the Herald can reveal.
The alleged “inappropriate use” of what is believed to be a significant amount of money was raised for discussion at a recent Oireachtas committee meeting.
At a meeting of the Public Accounts Committee earlier last month the committee confirmed receiving information from an anonymous source regarding the alleged “inappropriate use” of funds.
[Source: Roscommon Herald]
A 27-year-old man carried out two unprovoked assaults on two other men in quick succession, Sligo Circuit Court heard.
As a result, Eriks Melnis, Abbot's Close, Seapark, Dungarvan, County Waterford, was given a three-year suspended sentence on one charge.
He was ordered to carry out 240 hours of community service, in lieu of two-year imprisonment, on the other.
Judge Hunt was told the incidents in July 2011, were "totally out of character" for Melnis.
[Source: Sligo Champion]
Patients and medical staff in Cashel are “gravely disturbed” that an x-ray machine in Our Lady’s Hospital is out of action due to a mechanical defect, according to a local medical doctor and county councilor.
Mayor of Cashel Dr. Séan McCarthy also said passengers travelling through Thurles Railway Station could not use the car park without fear of being fined, or having their cars clamped, as the ticket vending machines are out of order.
- Enda Kenny, not the Catholic Church, speaks...
- $104 million Brian Boru biopic set to be...
- Irish ‘Mick’ fighter pilot was one of the...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- The top 100 Irish last names explained
- Award winning Irish documentary ‘Men at Lunch’.
- Planned Parenthood support for Irish leader...
- Gay porn priest is appointed to new parish...