News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties
A look at news from around Ireland
Belfast International Airport has slammed Aer Lingus for allegedly failing to give an “explanation that makes sense” over its decision to shift its services away from Aldergrove later this year.
The comments come after the airline confirmed that from this autumn, its operations at BIA would move to George Best Belfast City Airport.
While BIA conceded that it was “aware” talks had been going on between Aer Lingus and the City Airport for “quite some time,” it said that it was yet to receive the explanation it had asked for.
[Source: Antrim Guardian]
Newry and Mourne District Council has received an earmarked first-round pass of $1.5m from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) through its Landscape Partnership (LP) program for the Ring of Gullion project, it was announced last Tuesday. The project aims to conserve built and natural heritage, increase community participation in local heritage, and increase access to and learning about the landscape and its heritage.
Development funding of $9,700 has also been awarded to help Newry and Mourne District Council progress their plans to apply for a full grant at a later date.
[Source: Examiner Newspaper]
Four suspected members of a group believed to be responsible for some of the most high-profile crimes in the southeast over the last two years were brought before Carlow District Court two weeks ago.
A total of seven men were arrested by Gardaí (police) two weeks ago as part of an intelligence-led investigation into the activities of organized groups, which are believed to be responsible for more than 70 crimes committed in Carlow, Kilkenny, Tipperary and Wexford over the past 12 months.
Gardaí said the crimes include aggravated burglary, armed robbery, ATM robberies, attempted ATM theft, unauthorized taking of vehicles, theft of plant machinery and criminal damage.
[Source: Carlow Nationalist]
A Cavan-born judge has been appointed to the hearing of cases involving several high-profile former Anglo Irish bank executives brought before the Criminal Courts in Dublin in recent days.
Cormac Dunne from Cavan town was present when, last Monday, former Anglo Irish Bank finance director, Willie McAteer, and the bank's former managing director for Ireland, Patrick Whelan, were charged, and again last Tuesday, when former Anglo Irish Bank chairman and chief executive Sean FitzPatrick was brought before the court.
All three men face fraud charges relating to giving unlawful financial assistance to 16 named individuals, including Ballyconnell businessman Sean Quinn and his family, in connection with the purchase of shares in the then Anglo Irish Bank Corporation Plc, now the Irish Bank Resolution Corporation (IBRC).
[Source: The Anglo Celt]
Clare County Councilors have reacted angrily to the fact the council may have to pay $1,230 for the removal of telephone kiosks, which have been labeled as “magnets for anti-social behavior.”
- Did Pope Francis perform an exorcism at the...
- 87-year-old sues Donald Trump over condo...
- Violent attacks on gays in New York up 70...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- Immigration reform bill passes a huge hurdle...
- Irish leader delivers powerful commencement...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Computer giant Apple avoiding $25 billion...
- Sordid tale of Jimmy Savile to become a musical
- 'I expect terror attacks during G8 summit'...