News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties
Whats going on in your home county
The news follows recent revelations that only 25% of squad cars taken out of service this year will be replaced.
Justice Minister Alan Shatter said he had been advised by Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan that $14,229,883 was spent on repairs in 2011 and $4,711,136 to date this year.
With six months of the year left, it is expected a further $5m will have been allocated by the end of 2012.
Mr. Shatter told Dublin North East TD Tommy Broughan the cost covers the provision of spare parts, new tires and towing services.
[Source: Evening Herald]
A police helicopter was used in a search for men who ran off after the car they were travelling in crashed near Boa Island last Wednesday night.
At about 10 p.m., police were in the area of Boa Island Road when they spotted the driver of a blue Vauxhall Vectra talking on his mobile phone.
Police signaled for the car to stop but instead of stopping for officers the car made off at speed out of sight of officers, with the officers giving chase.
A few minutes later police came across the car crashed on a left hand bend, and the four men who were in the car ran off from it across fields.
Three individuals were arrested by police on foot but when the fourth suspect evaded officers police called for assistance and as the police helicopter was available it was scrambled to the scene.
Upon its arrival the police helicopter used thermal imaging equipment to detect the fourth man and he was arrested at about 11 p.m.
[Source: Fermanagh Herald]
Discussions with the European Commission to provide a funding mechanism for the 57 km. Gort to Tuam motorway are at a “critical stage” and the project could be given the green light in the coming weeks.
Public Expenditure and Reform Minister Brendan Howlin said he is keeping hopes high that $214m in funding can be leveraged from the European Structural Fund and European Investment Bank for the motorway, which would create around 2,500 jobs.
If the $214m funding – which has been approved in principle by the Investment Bank – can be secured, it’s understood road-building consortium BAM Balfour Beatty would then be in a position to find private investors.
Galway East Labour TD Colm Keaveney told the Connacht Tribune that the project is topping the list of capital-ready projects in this country at the moment.
[Source: Galway Bay FM]
The mother of an underage Killarney footballer says that constant racist remarks on the field of play are pushing her autistic son to the point of suicide.
Ann Marcus told The Kerryman how 13-year-old Dion, who is of Irish and Egyptian descent, was even racially abused by an adult associated with an opposing team. She says she has kept quiet on the issue until an incident two weeks ago following which she drove to Killarney Garda Station to make a formal complaint.
"We've had a lot of incidents of racism from opposition players and I've reported those to the clubs but this is the first time it has involved an adult," she states.
[Source: The Kerryman]
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Irish finance minister says US Senate are...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- Calls for Irish Justice Minister to resign...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...