News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties
What's going on around Ireland
At this month’s Templemore Joint Policing Committee (JPC) meeting, Cllr. Jim O’Shea raised the issue of a caravan near the Garda (police) grounds which had some “dangerous” cabling attached to it.
“It’s within a mile of a designated halting site,” said Cllr. O’Shea. “It’s going down the road. The number of people complaining about it…it’s a bone of contention.” Cllr. Maura Byrne said it’s “absolutely dangerous. I see children playing on the street. If we had this on our own homes, we’d be in great trouble.”
Cllr. Mick Connell added that the “health and safety people” should have moved in.
“It’s more than a private concern. I think it’s a matter for the County Council and the Gardaí. They should get their heads together.” The caravan is “on a continuous white line.”
[Source: Tipperary Star]
The sudden closure of a Dungannon road for emergency repair work has sparked anger among local residents who claim to have had up to 12 miles added to basic journeys as a result.
According to Councilors Roger and Frances Burton, the Drumaspil Road at Fishponds Bridge over the M1 motorway was closed on Monday (May 14), without warning, at a great inconvenience to residents.
A Roads Service spokesman said that while normally notification of work is given, due to the "emergency nature of the work", this was not possible in this case.
Gardaí (police) were carrying out investigations last week at an unoccupied building in the city after a body of a male was discovered on the premises which is situated at the junction of New Street and John’s Lane.
The body of the man was discovered around 6 p.m. Wednesday evening and several Gardaí were in attendance at the scene for a number of hours as they worked to establish the nature of the death.
The building, which once housed WIT arts and construction students, has been unoccupied since WIT moved out some years ago.
[Source: Waterford News & Star]
The Minister for Defense Alan Shatter has said discussions are on-going on the planned abolition of one of the country's three Defense Forces brigades, amid growing fears this week that Athlone's Custume Barracks will be singled out for the loss of brigade headquarters status.
The remarks come as rumors intensify that up to 500 Defense Force members based in Athlone could be redeployed elsewhere, if Custume Barracks loses its status as 4th Western Brigade headquarters.
The Government announced last year that it would be moving to a two-brigade structure, meaning the loss of brigade HQ status in either Athlone; Dublin (2nd Eastern Brigade); or Cork (1st Southern Brigade).
During a visit to Athlone last Monday, Minister Shatter indicated that there was no possibility the Athlone barracks would close, but he refused to be drawn on the outcome of the brigade reshuffle.
- Boston immigration center apologizes to young...
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Justice Minister hangs on as Shattergate...
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Sleazy secrets and the American Dream of...
- ‘Quiet Man’ star Maureen O’Hara says John...