News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties
What's going on around Ireland
The Minister’s statement said the entity, “will have a clear mandate, working closely with the IDA and Enterprise Ireland to develop the potential of the aviation sector and will explore other opportunities with those agencies for further prospective investments in the region”.
(Source: The Clare Champion)
A man is being treated in hospital after being stabbed a number of times, gardai said.
The attack happened at Parkview, Wellington Road in Cork city.
The 35-year-old victim received a number of wounds during the incident.
Paramedics called to the scene rushed the man to Cork University Hospital where he is undergoing medical treatment.
It is understood his injuries are not life-threatening.
Source: (Evening Herald)
A judge has refused to return four people for trial accused of managing an illegal demonstration at Derry City Cemetery.
Patrick McDaid (42) of Sackville Court, Marian Price (58) of Stockman’s Avenue, Belfast, Marvin Canning , (50) of Glendara and Frank Quigley, 29, of Elmwood Road had been charged in connection with an annual dissident republican commemoration on April 25, 2011.
Derry Magistrates Court heard that preliminary enquiry papers were not ready and had not been served on the defendants.
It was also revealed that Price is unfit to travel to court or to appear via videolink.
(Source: Derry Journal)
A Crolly man said he owes his life to a quick-thinking passer-by and the Gaoth Dobhair fire service.
John Barrow did not know anything was wrong, until he was wakened early last Friday by Gerry Gallagher of the Gaoth Dobhair fire service.
“Someone was hammering on my window, saying to get up and get out,” John recalled. His house at Killindaragh, Crolly, on the N56, was filled with smoke; an approaching bog fire was within a few feet of his house. It was about 6.40 am.
“It was a close call,” John said.
A Dutch man who is a frequent visitor to Donegal and his father were travelling to catch a flight at Donegal Airport at Carrickfinn on Friday morning, when they saw the fire behind John’s house and raised the alarm. The man had also tried unsuccessfully to raise any occupants in the house.
(Source: Donegal Democrat)
A Chinese woman allegedly trafficked into NI for sexual exploitation may have been moved between 10 countries, the High Court has heard.
She claimed to have been kidnapped in Turkey after going there in search of work, and then taken on to Spain.
A judge was told she could have been in other countries before arriving in Belfast on a flight from Barcelona.
Details emerged as bail was refused to a man charged with trafficking her into the UK.
Bin Wang, 26, with an address at Drogheda in the Irish Republic, denies the allegation and claims to have been unwittingly used by others.
The court was told that the alleged victim was stopped at Belfast International Airport on 20 April because she was using a false passport.
- Enda Kenny, not the Catholic Church, speaks...
- $104 million Brian Boru biopic set to be...
- Irish ‘Mick’ fighter pilot was one of the...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Gay porn priest is appointed to new parish...
- The top 100 Irish last names explained
- Award winning Irish documentary ‘Men at Lunch’.
- Planned Parenthood support for Irish leader...