News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties
Whats going on in your home county
A County Tyrone man has been charged with attempted murder in Adelaide, Australia.
Paul Anthony Fox, 24, from Clonoe, is accused of stabbing Robbie Corrigan, of Galbally, Co. Tyrone, on Easter Sunday. It is understood that Corrigan's life is not in danger. Fox, whose address was given as Croydon Park in Adelaide, was also accused of intentionally causing harm to an individual the previous day. The identity of the victim of that alleged attack is unclear.
(Source: BBC News)
A young Traveler family whose house was recently burned out received sinister threats by means of an anonymous letter last week, warning them to move on from their new accommodation or face the consequences.
Still coming to terms with a suspicious fire at his newly refurbished home, Michael McDonagh, a father of five, fears that he will be burned out again simply because he is a settled Traveler. McDonagh had moved his belongings into his new local authority house at Dunkitt, Kilmacow, a few miles from the city, but hours before he and his children were due to take up residence, the three-bed home sustained serious fire damage. Now McDonagh fears that the house he is renting at Polerone Green, in Mooncoin, will suffer the same fate. Garda have been contacted and are monitoring the situation.
(Source: Waterford News & Star)
One of Athlone town's seven Catholic national schools may lose its Catholic patronage, under new proposals published last week. The decision follows the recent publication of the final report of the Advisory Group to the Forum on Patronage and Pluralism in the Primary Sector. Athlone and Ballinasloe are listed in the report among 47 other towns across the country, in which some primary schools could lose their Catholic patronage during the first phase of proposed changes. The chosen towns are areas, identified by the Department of Education, where "there is a need for divesting to allow for diversity of schools.”
(Source: Westmeath Independent)
Two men charged over a €1.5m heroin seizure in Dublin last week appeared in court last Thursday. Edward Rooney, 52, and Des Ryan, 64, had been charged last week following a heroin seizure when their car was stopped and searched by gardaí at Old North Road, Finglas, on April 5.
Rooney of Ballinacorribeg, Roundwood, Co Wicklow was granted bail of €5,000, on the condition that he signs on daily at Wicklow garda station while Ryan, who lives in Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford, was granted bail of €10,000, providing he also sign in daily at his local garda station.
(Source: Irish Examiner)
A man charged with the murder of a Newcastle, Co, Wicklow charity worker has been acquitted by a judge during court proceedings in Zanzibar. Robert Stringer, 26, was found dead on a beach in Zanzibar in August 2009 having suffered multiple head injuries. He had spent the previous five weeks carrying out volunteer work in Tanzania before taking a short break on the picturesque island in the Indian Ocean.
(Source: Wicklow People)
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- Irish finance minister says US Senate are...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- Irish anti-austerity protesters chain themselve