News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties
Whats going on in your home county
The company was in court after a vehicle, confirmed as a streetview car with a roof-mounted camera, had parked illegally on Main Street, Castleisland, Co Kerry, last September.
Last week’s appearance in the court, which now sits in Tralee, was to confirm a €450 contribution pledged before Christmas to the court poor box to avoid a conviction under the Road Traffic Act.
The case of Kerry County Council v Google Ireland had first come before Castleisland court on December 22nd last.
Google Ireland Ltd, Gordon House, Barrow Street, Dublin, pleaded guilty to illegal parking on September 23rd, 2011.
The case had been adjourned to Friday to allow Google’s contribution to the poor box to be paid to avoid a conviction. The court was told that the €450 had now been paid.
Representing Google Ireland, Tralee solicitor Patrick Mann, for A L Goodbody Solicitors of Dublin, reminded Judge James O’Connor of his appeal so that Google, “which so well serves the world and the community”, could make the contribution and thus avoid a conviction.
The previous court hearing also heard how Google Ireland drivers were not employed directly by Google but were provided by a subcontractor.
(Source: Irish Times)
Skeletal remains uncovered during excavation work on the Monasterevin Road are believed to have been the remains of a human male who is over 100 years old.
The remains were discovered at the site of the Barrow Abstraction Scheme works at Shanraheen in Athy on Tuesday, 17 January. An archaeologist working at the site identified the remains as being those of a human male.
Garda scene of crime investigators travelled to the scene and permission to exhume the remains was given by acting county coroner Dr Ravi Kambamettu. Preliminary investigations suggest that the remains are those of someone over born over 100 years ago. However, Sergeant James Bergin told the Kildare Nationalist that the person could have been born 150 years ago or even possibly 200 years ago.
He went on to say that at this stage gardaí do not think there is anything sinister about the find, but investigations are ongoing.
(Source: The Kildare Nationalist)
A man who threatened a garda and his fiancée had his case adjourned for the preparation of a probation report at Kilkenny Court.
Ronan Houlihan, 27 Westfield, Callan is charged with disorderly conduct, failure to comply with the direction of a garda and engaging in threatening, abusive and insulting behavior.
Inspector Liam Connolly told the court that on the date in question the defendant was intoxicated and was shouting at passers-by. Gardaí asked the defendant to leave the scene and when they returned to the scene a short time later the defendant was there. He threatened a garda that he knew where he lived and threatened the garda that he knew where his fiancée lived. The defendant then ran off and hid under a car. He was arrested a short time later.
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- Irish finance minister says US Senate are...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- Calls for Irish Justice Minister to resign...