News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties
Whats going on in your home county
Around 30 officers raided two neighboring houses in Antrim last week after a shot was fired through the rear window of a car in Rathkyle last week.
Witnesses to the police operation told the Antrim Guardian that unmarked police cars 'tore into' Rathglynn last Wednesday night before plain clothes officers used battering rams to gain entry to both properties.
“They had sniffer dogs and were going through bins and lifting floorboards," one witness said. “Two men were lifted and the police left again about 1am and took several large forensic bags with them."
The raids came less than 24 hours after a shot was fired through the rear window of a car in nearby Rathkyle the previous night (Tuesday). A local householder heard a loud bang at around 11.30pm. At 9.45am the following morning, it was discovered that the rear window of a Renault Laguna parked at the address had been smashed. Police recovered what are believed to be shotgun pellets from the vehicle. Local Alliance councilor Neil Kelly said he is 'appalled' by the shooting incident.
He said: "The community is shocked at this incident. I am appalled that anyone could carry out something like this. “Incidents like this have absolutely no place in our society and they cause fear in the community. This is a deeply worrying event and my thoughts are with the person whose car was damaged.
“Anyone who saw anything or who has any other information regarding this matter should contact police immediately.
A police spokeswoman confirmed that a 24-year-old man had been arrested on the night of the raids. She said he was arrested 'in connection' to the shot fired at the car in Rathkyle.
“Two searches were also carried out at two flats in the Rathglynn area," she added.
“The man was questioned in connection with the attack before being released on bail early on Thursday morning."
(Source: Antrim Guardian)
A Newry man recently charged with a string of sex offences against children appeared in a child safety advertising campaign shown in public places locally as recently as last summer, the Examiner has learned.
Dennis Lancaster of Lisdrum Avenue appeared before Newry Magistrates’ Court on 21st December charged with rape, sexual assault and two counts of sexual activity with a child. The charges brought relate to incidents dating from September 19th 2010 and involve two alleged injured parties.
The Examiner has learned that the 32-year-old former juvenile boxing Coach featured in an advertising video clip published to warn parents about child protection. The advert was produced by a UK-based company and featured Lancaster, who previously resided in England. Sickeningly, given the charges against him, the awareness campaign in which Lancaster appeared urged parents to “know where your children are” and was unwittingly shown in a number of public places in the area, including Daisy Hill Hospital.
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Michael Flatley, star of Lord of the Dance...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- The top ten things I dislike about Irish...
- U2’s Bono spills on American politicians...
- Do the Irish speak a foreign language?
- Calls for Irish Justice Minister to resign...