News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties
The Mayor of Bundoran, Sinn Féin Cllr. Mick McMahon, has congratulated gardaí on recovering 500,000 euro worth of cannabis plants in a recent raid on a premises on the outskirts of Tullaghan.
Mayor McMahon said: “Gardaí carried out an operation last Friday in which they recovered a substantial amount of drugs that were being grown in the building. I would like to congratulate them on their great work. Parents can sleep soundly knowing that these drugs, at least, will not make their way on to our streets.”
A garda spokesperson said that the drugs seizure of the cannabis plants was made at 9.30am following a planned search at a warehouse at Gargrim, Kinlough, Co Leitrim.
The spokesperson said: “It was a highly sophisticated process for growing cannabis, using the use of elaborate lighting.”
The operation involved Gardaí from Manorhamilton District, the Drug Unit/Task Force from Sligo and the Garda National Drugs Unit.
Two males, Chinese nationals aged 29 and 50, were arrested at the scene.
(Source: Donegal Democrat)
Death row dog Lennon has been granted a last minute reprieve – as a Belfast judge considers one final appeal to spare his life.
Owner Caroline Barnes and her disabled Brooke have been offered fresh hope in their battle to save Lennox from death.
The pitbull style dog was sentenced to be put down after he was seized by dog wardens in Belfast in May 2010.
The dog has been held at a pound ever since then as experts debate whether or not he is an American bulldog as Caroline claims.
Wardens claimed that Lennox is a banned pitbull-type dog who poses a danger to the public. They also alleged he attacked two people near the family home.
Belfast County Court judge Henry Rodgers agreed with the wardens last month and ordered that Lennox be put down.
A worldwide campaign has since been launched to save Lennox and owner Barnes has now lodged a final appeal to spare his life.
(Source: Irish Central)
Priory Hall families fear they will not be able to return home for Christmas after being left in limbo.
Some 240 residents of the north Dublin apartments remain evacuated from the complex because of fire safety concerns.
Now their fate is unclear because both Dublin City Council, and former IRA hunger striker Tom McFeely, who built the units, say they haven't the money to rectify the problems.
In the High Court, the council secured the removal of McFeely's workers from the complex but says it has no money to pay for a new contractor to complete the fire safety works.
McFeely, his company and workers were ordered by the High Court to leave by 6pm on Friday after the council complained about a lack of progress.
A new contractor has been identified but the council has no funds to pay for the work.
Mr McFeely denied there was any breach of court orders but his lawyers said he would not object to being replaced if that was what the council wanted.
- Good Morning America says Sasha and Malia...
- Former church spokesman criticised for using...
- Sinn Fein deputy leader speaks out against...
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at...
- Michelle Obama and daughters trace their...
- Dating website for ‘homosensible’ Catholic...
- Michelle Obama and daughters visit Glendalough.
- Daily Mail unloads on 'drunken young' Paddys...
- American dance teacher and Ulster husband...
- Obama under fire for turning G8 summit into...