News from Ireland - news from around the 32 counties
Ireland's county news
First Minister Peter Robinson visited the home of an Antrim man, who is now accused of explosives offences, when his own property was targeted by a pipe bomb earlier this year. Former DUP election candidate John Smyth junior was comforted by party colleagues, including Mr Robinson and South Antrim MLA Trevor Clarke after a device was thrown through his bedroom window at Seacash Walk in March.
At the time of the attack Mr Robinson said he was 'disgusted at the blatant attempt to endanger his life' and he offered the 'full support of the DUP' to help bring the perpetrators to justice. Smyth has now been suspended from the party following his arrest just hours after a pipebomb attack on a Polish couple at Seacash Drive last Wednesday (October 12).
At Ballymena Magistrates' Court on Saturday, he was charged with making explosives with intent to endanger life and making explosives under suspicious circumstances.
The 30-year-old, whose address was given in court as Birch Hill Park, was refused bail by Judge Danny McGill.
Smyth's solicitor told the court that the accused 'posed no threat to the Polish community or any other foreign national'.
The court was also told that Smyth was being treated for manic depression and recently tried to take his own life.
Opposing bail, a police officer said it was feared Smyth may interfere with witnesses and the gathering of evidence. The officer added that information had been obtained which suggested 'harm may come to him' if released.
Smyth is due to appear in court again on November 8 via videolink from Maghaberry.
(Source: Antrim Guardian)
The former Forkhill Barracks, described as “a blight on Forkhill”, can finally look forward to an ambitious redevelopment as a planning application has now been submitted for 20 social and affordable houses for the Fold Housing Association. Work is expected to begin on the site in the centre of the village before April next year and is hailed as the first stage of major redevelopment plans for the eight acre site.
The two and three bedroom homes being proposed will incorporate the latest in green technology and will be available for those on the housing list.
The plans are a welcome boost to the area as the local community has been angered in the past by the government’s refusal to regenerate the site. Following the withdrawal of troops from the barracks in 2006, the Forkhill Regeneration Committee initiated plans to redevelop the site but funding was turned down in 2008 by the Finance Minister at the time, Peter Robinson. That decision sparked protests by the locals who saw the disused barracks as a “blight” on their area and a physical divide in the centre of the village.
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination”...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Dublin cops foil hit on drug kingpin John...
Everyone disregard my post that is unfinished. I hit enter by mistake, sorry.Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air hostess calendar
Chuck I didn't realize that you had a great sense of humor, that was to funny. I actually had to watch it two or three times before I came to my decisThe New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-praised economic recovery
Maybe the Times should question Obama's recovery.Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christmas (PHOTOS)
And to you Chuck a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New year. I have my New Year resolution already and that is to stop antagonizing you, enough is en