New hope for undocumented Irish as immigration bill on way for Labor Day
Schumer wants comprehensive reform bill in Senate by September
Schumer (D-NY), who replaced Senator Edward Kennedy as the chair of the immigration sub-committee, is steering an immigration overhaul through the Senate.
"I think we'll have a good bill by Labor Day," said Schumer, D-N.Y. "I think the fundamental building blocks are in place to do comprehensive immigration reform."
Schumer said the only way to get a bill through the Senate was by being tough on future illegal immigration.
However, he said that the U.S. neded to find a way for people who are already way to get on some kind of path to legal status.
President Barack Obama, who has said he is committed to immigration reform, wants a bill in the House by the fall.
"I have been here since 1990," he said, "and I've had my hopes raised and dashed so many times I've lost count."
"I hope this bill comes through. I just wish I could be here legally and not living in the shadows."
Paul, like many other undocumented Irish immigrants, is working and paying city, state and federal taxes.
"I wish the Republicans would see us as an advantage, and not a drain on the economy," he said.
"I have the full 40 credits for Social Security but I will never be able to use it unless I get legalized."
"All that money is just going into a black hole. I don't know what happens to the tens of thousands of dollars I have paid in taxes."
Also today, the Department of Homeland Security has said it will abandon a Bush administration plan that would have forced employers to fire workers when there is a mismatch between their Social Security numbers and their names.
- Enda Kenny, not the Catholic Church, speaks...
- $104 million Brian Boru biopic set to be...
- Irish ‘Mick’ fighter pilot was one of the...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- The top 100 Irish last names explained
- Award winning Irish documentary ‘Men at Lunch’.
- Gay porn priest is appointed to new parish...
- Ten best Irish lies — fabulous fibs that...