Michaela Harte murder trial hears Irish teacher died in violent struggle
Doctor outlines injuries sustained in struggle
Michaela Harte died as a result of a violent struggle which lasted around two minutes, her murder trial has heard.
Delivering his testimony on Thursday, Dr Sudesh Kumar Gungadin who carried out the post mortem on Michaela Harte, said she died as a result of asphyxiation caused by compression to the neck, according to Journal.ie.
He told the Supreme Court in Port Louis her bruises and tissue damage were caused by the grip of a hand to her throat and the pressing of a forearm around her collarbone.
The only daughter of Armagh GAA manager Mickey Harte, the body of Michaela was discovered by her husband John in the bathroom of their honeymoon suite on January 10, 2011.
Former Legends resort employees Avinash Treebhoowoon (31), and Sandip Moneea, (42), deny murdering the 27-year-old school teacher last January.
On Thursday it also emerged that CCTV footage captured from the Mauritius resort on the day of the murder is to be played at the murder trial on Friday.
The video footage spans a 35-minute period. Additional CCTV footage from the day before will also be played.
The Belfast Telegraph reports that Assistant Commissioner of Police Yoosoof Soopun was ordered to bring the footage to the Supreme Court by the defense team.
Moneea’s defence attorney, Rama Valayden requested that footage from 2.55pm to 3.30pm on the day of the murder - January 10 and 11am to 12pm the previous day be viewed.
The footage is expected to be broadcast on Friday morning.
"We will make arrangements for projectors and screens to be brought in," Justice Prithviraj Fecknah said.
- Horse disemboweled and sliced open in horrific.
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate...
- Irish footballer under investigation after...
- Bill O'Reilly claims the Obama administration...
- Irish politician refuses to back down on...
- Enda Kenny rejects Dublin Archbishop's claims...
- Census shows more Catholics than Protestants...
- Gerry Adams accuses British government of...
- 'You attack one Muslim, you attack all Muslims'