Medics warn gonorrhea at record levels in Northern Ireland
Syphilis and HIV diagnoses have also increased in recent years
The rate of the infection 'uncomplicated gonorrhea' in Northern Ireland has more than doubled over the past two years, from 200 new cases in 2010 to 451 in 2012.
According to Ulster Television, new syphilis and HIV diagnoses have also increased in recent years.
Doctor Neil Irvine, a Health Protection Consultant with the Public Health Agency (PHA) said: 'The increase has been seen in both heterosexuals and in men who have sex with men.
'This would suggest that the newer, more sensitive tests introduced in recent years are showing that prevalence was higher than previously thought.
'However, there is also likely to be increased transmission due to unsafe sex, given that infectious syphilis and HIV diagnoses have also increased in recent years.'
Gonorrhea, a sexually transmitted infection, can enter the bloodstream or spread to the joints if left untreated.
The PHA added that there is a growing worldwide problem of gonorrhea becoming resistant to antibiotics.
- Megyn Kelly says Santa and Jesus are white,...
- Irish outrage over NY Times pigeon-eating...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- Engaged couple fired by Catholic school for...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- How the Irish celebrate Christmas has changed...
Hill of Tara complex seat of Irelands High Kings - now divided into two areas by the M3 Motorway. The great white elephant of the Celtic Tiger. The mTop ten sites in Ireland where history comes alive
Hill of Tara complex - now divided into two areas by the M3 Motorway. The great white elephant of the Celtic Tiger. The motorway was constructed overEngaged couple fired by Catholic school for falling pregnant outside wedlock
Slainte -- the idea that sex between two consenting adults at any time is a sin is outdated nonsense. RthrBhistcorr - any contract that contrains clRacist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent says Immigrant Council
Immigrants dont do jobs the natives refuse to do.The employers want to pay less then the job is worth.If you want someone else to do a dirty job.PAY f