Death of an Irish-American hero
Last surviving Kennedy brother loses his battle with brain cancer
- News / A great Irish chieftain has passed / Click here
- News / Tributes pour in for the late Ted Kennedy / Click here
- News / Lion of the Senate is dead / Click here
- News / Undocumented Irish say farewell / Click here
- Multimedia / Videos and photos - Irish visit, immigration, The Kennedys/ Click here
- Comment / Senator Edward Kennedy - The lion in winter / Click here
- Comment / Niall O'Dowd - Why Teddy picked Obama / Click here
- Roots / The Irish Kennedys / Click here
- Roots/ Irish America magazine 1997 interview with Ted Kennedy / Click here
Sen. Ted Kennedy died shortly before midnight Tuesday at his home in Hyannis Port, Mass., at age 77.
The man known as the "liberal lion of the Senate" had fought a more than year-long battle with brain cancer, and according to his son had lived longer with the disease than his doctors expected him to.
IrishCentral exclusively reported that Sen. Edward Kennedy had received the Last Rites from the Catholic Church on Tuesday as he began to lose his battle with the deadly cancer.
Sources close to the family confirmed that Kennedy, deeply religious like all the Kennedys, was anointed by a priest who administered the Sacrament to him at his bedside.
"We've lost the irreplaceable center of our family and joyous light in our lives, but the inspiration of his faith, optimism, and perseverance will live on in our hearts forever," the Kennedy family said in a statement.
"He loved this country and devoted his life to serving it."
Senator John McCain this week said the Senate was a tougher place without Kennedy.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Obama relative gets personal special deal...
- Amazing story of how Choctaw Indians raised...
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Sarah Jessica Parker opens her heart to grievin
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Most Americans are in favor of immigration...
- Amazing story of the Quakers and the Irish...
Chuck "I will reserve my hatred for those who attempt to harm me or my country." USS Liberty and Cole anyone? Levon Affair? Right wing IsCrackdown on social welfare 'tourists' at Ireland's airports
IM IRISH AND LIVE NEAR CORK IN A SMALL SEMI DETATCHED ESTATE OF ABOUT 10 HOUSES. OUT OF THE 8 HOUSES THERE ARE ME ONE OTHER IRISH COUPLE , THE REST ARThe most annoying Christmas songs of all time (VIDEOS)
Top of the list must be the ever annoying Feliz Navidad Feliz Navidad Feliz Navidad Feliz Navidad.....'Danny Boy' turns 100 and the experts explain its popularity (VIDEO)
Oh no! It was an English guy. How inconvenient!