Liam Heffernan’s return to New York for medical trial
Kerry family back in New York for chance in treatment
The Heffernan family once again left Irish soil in a plane bound for the New York this week, to enable two-year-old Liam Heffernan to begin assessment for the life-threatening illness which claimed the life of his big sister Saoirse just two months ago.
Liam suffers from Late Infantile Batten Disease, and will undergo a series of tests at the Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York to assess if he is suitable for to take part in a medical treatment trial that could potentially save his life.
If he is approved he will become the first Irish child to receive such treatment.
Her late sister Saoirse, 5, had also been assessed for treatment but missed out on eligibility last October. She passed away at the family home in Keel, Castlemaine, Co. Kerry on January 18.
Tony and Mary, Liam’s parents, will be by their son’s side throughout the trials in the U.S.
"He's holding his own and as long as he keeps that up we're happy," Mr Heffernan told the “Evening Herald.”
Batten disease is a rare and fatal disease which effects the nervous system.
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination”...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Dublin cops foil hit on drug kingpin John...
Everyone disregard my post that is unfinished. I hit enter by mistake, sorry.Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air hostess calendar
Chuck I didn't realize that you had a great sense of humor, that was to funny. I actually had to watch it two or three times before I came to my decisThe New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-praised economic recovery
Maybe the Times should question Obama's recovery.Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christmas (PHOTOS)
And to you Chuck a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New year. I have my New Year resolution already and that is to stop antagonizing you, enough is en