Liam, last of Clancy Brothers, dies in Ireland
- News / Liam, last of Clancy Brothers, dies in Ireland / Click here
- Tom Deignan column / Poignant last interview with Liam Clancy / Click here
- Paul Keating column / Clancy Brothers' Liam: The last man standing / Click here
- Paul Keating column / Tommy Makem's legend will live on / Click here
- Video / 'The Rising of the Moon' / Click here
- Video / 'Roddy McCorley' live / Click here
- Photos / Vintage photos from Irish America archive / Click here
Legendary singer Liam Clancy has died aged 74.
Liam Clancy, the famed "last man standing" from the Clancy Brothers and Tommie Makem, died in Ireland today.
Clancy, who had been ill for some time, died in hospital in Cork.
The youngest of 11 children, Clancy followed his brothers Paddy and Tom to New York from Carrick on Suir.
Paddy and Tom were already performing in the Big Appple with well-known Armagh singer Tommy Makem and young Liam joined up with them.
Performing as The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem they became international stars after a performance on the Ed Sullivan show.
Bob Dylan said Liam was "the best ballad singer I've ever heard" died in hospital in Cork early this afternoon
The Clancys' mother sent them all their trademark Aran jumpers fearing her boys would freexe in the harsh New York winters.
The band's treatment of traditional ballads played a vital role in the 1960s folk revival.
When the band broke up, as all good bands eventually do, Liam went solo in Canada but reunited with Tommy Makem to form Makem and Clancy.
The entire band got back together in the 1980s.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Obama relative gets personal special deal...
- Amazing story of how Choctaw Indians raised...
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Sarah Jessica Parker opens her heart to grievin
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Most Americans are in favor of immigration...
- Amazing story of the Quakers and the Irish...
Let a jew do the talking, go read Goliath, life and loathing in greater Israel by MAX BLUMENTHAL, This saids it all ! Racist state for racist people.The most annoying Christmas songs of all time (VIDEOS)
I could do very well with never hearing Christmas Shoes or Christmas Eve in Washington and anything Mariah Carey screechs tru.The most annoying Christmas songs of all time (VIDEOS)
Agree with Madonna's Santa Baby, Awful. Loved the Eartha Kitt versionIrish radio presenter suspended after anti-Israeli comments aired on show
Chuck "I will reserve my hatred for those who attempt to harm me or my country." USS Liberty and Cole anyone? Levon Affair? Right wing Is