Leading disc jockey dies after taking sex drugs purchased on Internet
A young, high profile disc jockey from Cork suffered a deadly heart attack after taking drugs he purchased over the Internet.
John 'Broz' Brosnan, 35, walked from his home to a Cork hospital on after complaining of chest pains. He suffered a massive coronary attack and died two hours later.
Brosnan, who received numerous awards from Irish gay and lesbian groups for taking a stand for same-sex couple, was part of a popular combo 'Broz & Angi' and fronted the disco-soul group Sexual Chocolate.
"We were together for 18 years -- I am still devastated," Brosnan's partner Michael Nason told the Irish Independent after the Cork Coroner's inquest.
Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane heard that on September 30, 2011, the popular DJ took amphetamines and a Viagra-like drug called 'Kamagra.'
Brosnan had been suffering with a cold and a sore throat at the time.
Shortly before 4am, he told Nason that he had chest pains and was experiencing numbness in his hands and arms.
The couple then walked from their Douglas Street home in Cork city center to the nearby South Infirmary-Victoria University Hospital (SIVUH).
An electro-cardiogram indicated that Brosnan had suffered a heart attack. By 5.00am, his condition had deteriorated and he suffered a seizure before collapsing in front of his partner. Doctors were unable to revive him and he was pronounced dead at 6.10am.
A post-mortem examination revealed that Brosnan had chronic hardening of his coronary artery and a large thrombosis or clot, according to Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster.
She said that studies into amphetamine use have shown a high risk of both hardening of the arteries and clots.
Blood tests revealed Mr Brosnan had an amphetamine concentration of 0.74micrograms -- well into the fatal range of between 0.5 and 1 microgram.
Dr. Bolster added that it was unclear what role, if any, the Viagra-like drug had played in the incident. Tests showed that the product, which was purchased over the Internet, was not contaminated.
Brosnan had started using amphetamines or 'speed' after living for a time in the Netherlands, according to his partner. The inquest noted that he was otherwise fit and healthy.
The jury declared a verdict of death by misadventure.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Website attracts 80,000 Irish people ready...
- Photo shows Irish revolutionaries three years...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
i never heard the slang donkey must be american some of the other yes but we dont use slang in ireland to describe ourselves we are irish northern soRacist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent says Immigrant Council
@molliepmac: What does "fiscal impact" mean exactly? In any event, my concern is for individuals and I firmly believe that the Irish abroadIrish radio presenter suspended after anti-Israeli comments aired on show
WoubdedKnee - Well said. You do get to the point!Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent says Immigrant Council
Barry - Why do we seem to have more sympathy for the Irish? Because they are our own people!