Leading disc jockey dies after taking sex drugs purchased on Internet
A young, high profile disc jockey from Cork suffered a deadly heart attack after taking drugs he purchased over the Internet.
John 'Broz' Brosnan, 35, walked from his home to a Cork hospital on after complaining of chest pains. He suffered a massive coronary attack and died two hours later.
Brosnan, who received numerous awards from Irish gay and lesbian groups for taking a stand for same-sex couple, was part of a popular combo 'Broz & Angi' and fronted the disco-soul group Sexual Chocolate.
"We were together for 18 years -- I am still devastated," Brosnan's partner Michael Nason told the Irish Independent after the Cork Coroner's inquest.
Coroner Dr Myra Cullinane heard that on September 30, 2011, the popular DJ took amphetamines and a Viagra-like drug called 'Kamagra.'
Brosnan had been suffering with a cold and a sore throat at the time.
Shortly before 4am, he told Nason that he had chest pains and was experiencing numbness in his hands and arms.
The couple then walked from their Douglas Street home in Cork city center to the nearby South Infirmary-Victoria University Hospital (SIVUH).
An electro-cardiogram indicated that Brosnan had suffered a heart attack. By 5.00am, his condition had deteriorated and he suffered a seizure before collapsing in front of his partner. Doctors were unable to revive him and he was pronounced dead at 6.10am.
A post-mortem examination revealed that Brosnan had chronic hardening of his coronary artery and a large thrombosis or clot, according to Assistant State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster.
She said that studies into amphetamine use have shown a high risk of both hardening of the arteries and clots.
Blood tests revealed Mr Brosnan had an amphetamine concentration of 0.74micrograms -- well into the fatal range of between 0.5 and 1 microgram.
Dr. Bolster added that it was unclear what role, if any, the Viagra-like drug had played in the incident. Tests showed that the product, which was purchased over the Internet, was not contaminated.
Brosnan had started using amphetamines or 'speed' after living for a time in the Netherlands, according to his partner. The inquest noted that he was otherwise fit and healthy.
The jury declared a verdict of death by misadventure.
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Irish finance minister says US Senate are...
- Calls for Irish Justice Minister to resign...
- Irish anti-austerity protesters chain themselve