Islam convert says she was unable to wear hijab in Cork workplace
Sues Irish department store for unfair dismissal and discrimination
A former worker at Dunnes Stores in Cork has claimed she was fired because she was told she could not work while wearing the hijab, the traditional muslim headscarf.
Loreta Tavoraite (35), originally from Lithuania, converted to Islam after beginning work in the Cork store. She wanted to wear the hijab but was told that she had to wear a standard uniform.
She is suing Dunnes for unfair dismissal.
Her lawyer Patrick Horan told the Employment Appeals Tribunal that his client was told she "couldn't come to work wearing a hijab."
"As far as she was concerned, being a devout Muslim, you must wear a hijab. It's an obligation," said Mr Horan.
"Her view was I'm ready to work. I want to work, but because of my religion I have to wear a hijab."
In October 2010 Ms Tavoraite met with Dunnes Stores management and explained that her religion mandated she wear the hijab in public.
She was fired from her position in November 6, 2010.
15 - 59 | See all comments
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Bono, Gerry Adams, President Higgins all...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
I applaud Mr.Conboy for his insightful commentary on a refreshingly radical Pope who gets it! The version of corrupt capitalism practiced by the Vatic62-year-old Boston priest caught with prostitute behind cemetery
Coyle should leave the priesthood, get married, and have a few kids. Punishment indeed.Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after applying for same-sex marriage license
Neglecting the hungry and aborting babies is also sinful, olovely if you were wondering.An open letter in strong defence of capitalism to Pope Francis
IC has screwed up again. Sorry Dompedro but that is my comment on Dec10,2013,0146 pm est. I wish that IC could correct these mistakes.