Irish skin cancer rates surge from foreign sun vacations
The rate of skin cancer in Ireland has almost doubled over the past 10 years.
Sun vacations and sunbeds have been blamed for the 92 percent increase.
Norma Cronin from the Irish Cancer Society (ICS) said the “staggering increase” in melanoma pointed to increased sunburn and increased use of sunbeds.
One of the biggest risk factors is getting sunburned in childhood or adolescence and exposure to “intermittent short bursts of sun”, Cronin said.
The National Cancer Registry of Ireland (NCRI) says there were 756 cases of melanoma in Ireland in 2008, a 92 percent increase from the 393 cases in 1998.
Of the 756 cases, 195 people were fatal.
Cronin said there was “significant”, research from the WHO which found that melanoma skin cancer rates leap by 75 percent when people under-30 use sun beds.
The ICS says Ireland has among the highest skin cancer rates in Europe and two-thirds of Irish people have a higher risk of developing skin cancer because of their skin type.
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
Quoting Churchill to an Irish audience to make a point is not the silliest part of this sad missive. Like so many "Conservatives" Conboy mBill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an unrepentant “communist”
Obama is not a socialist, that is why you got ACA run by private insurance companies instead of Single Payer. I know he's not a socialist because I amUnionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for new flag for Northern Ireland (VIDEO)
More 'fried brain' nonsense...A sibling of an Irish person...is Irish...stay out of the Sun, 'n keep trying, cobber!!!Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after applying for same-sex marriage license
Hi alisaann, in truth, the ones who lose the most are the children. Marriage affords most people a means to bequeath possessions to the family without