Irish government demands nationwide probe of child sex abuse in Catholic Church
- News / Ultimatum to four Irish Catholic bishops: Quit or be fired by Vatican / Click here
- Niall O'Dowd / Pedophile inquiry needed in every dicoese in Ireland / Click here
- News / Irish Catholic bishops now battling each other / Click here
- Father Tim / Irish Catholic Church is imploding / Click here
The Government plans to order a nationwide investigation into child sex abuse in the Irish Catholic Church.
That decision that may lead to a direct confrontation with some Church authorities, who want any inquiries to be limited in scope. So far, the Government has dealt mainly with crimes which may have taken place over a period of decades in the Dublin Archdiocese.
There is also speculation that Northern Ireland dioceses could be included — the first time this expanded scope has been raised.
A meeting took place last week between officials from the office of the Minister for Children, Barry Andrews, and the National Board for the Safeguarding of Children in the Catholic Church, which is an independent body set up by the Church in 2006 to monitor compliance with child-protection laws.
It was made clear at the meeting that both Government and Church authorities are in discussions about a wide-ranging investigation into the activities of alleged pedophile priests in all dioceses.
A spokesman for Andrews’ office confirmed the meeting, and said "the dialogue is ongoing."
The main issues to be sorted out are the time frame of any national investigation, the legal framework under which the the investigation would operate, and the key issue: How much cooperation will the Irish Catholic Church give?
Government sources say they are determined to move ahead as quickly as possible with the inquiry.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Website attracts 80,000 Irish people ready...
- Photo shows Irish revolutionaries three years...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
Haaretz.com The times of Israel, Huffington post has done stories on the attacks on Christian sites and graveyards in Jerusalem.Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent says Immigrant Council
Barry ;- 'Fiscal impact' means that a State is worse off financially ie - immigrants take more money from the State than they contribute. Here is theRacist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent says Immigrant Council
Darao, you know when you're dealing with racists, right? They deny known facts, ignore your reasoned comments, play on people's fears, and spew insulGay teacher fired from Catholic school after applying for same-sex marriage license
For twelve years the administration knew he was gay, they met his partner at staff meetings. If he had agreed to call off his wedding his job would ha