Irish abstinence from alcohol leads to loss of 15,000 jobs
Traditionally, the Irish are renowned as being big drinkers, but figures published by the Drinks Industry Group of Ireland (DIGI) would suggest that this is not the case anymore.
Drink sales have dropped by 11 percent last year alone, and the Irish are now drinking less alcohol than they were in 1995.
In the last 18 months, 15,000 jobs people have now lost their jobs.
The majority of the jobs lost were in bars, hotels and restaurants. However, many barley farmers have been left with useless crops, as there is less demand for beer production.
Over 1,500 pubs have closed in the last five years and a further 2,000 are expected to close in the next 10 years.
Many blame the recession and the Celtic Tiger hangover, but Ireland's mindset and social values have changed in recent years.
It is no longer socially acceptable to frequent a bar more than a couple of times a week.
The price of the pint and Ireland’s smoking ban has forced many people to drink at home.
DIGI says that the cut in excise duty in last Decembers budget did little to stimulate alcohol sales.
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Caroline Kennedy “selfie” in Japan reveals...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Ireland wins top spot on Forbes’ Best Countries
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Sarah Jessica Parker opens her heart to grievin
If Notre Dame wants federal dollars it should abide by federal law. This is a democracy not a theocracy. If they want to prevent young woman from acceNotre Dame sues federal government again over birth control
Darao: How shallow can a human being become as to be indifferent to the destruction of family stability, the encouragement of male irresponsibility, aUnionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for new flag for Northern Ireland (VIDEO)
Wipe you ass with the union jack Haas is an idiot as wellMarried priests could well be Pope Francis' legacy, says Irish theologian
homosexuality is a normal part of our civilized society. Even the Pope himself says -- who are we to judge. What civilized people should not do is