Ireland’s oldest illegal alien in America to finally become a U.S. citizen
90-year-old Josephine Stout who emigrated in 1923 will finally get her papers
Her birth certificate was found on Oct. 27, 2010 stating she was born in March 1922, in Limerick.
"Her mother gave birth in what was called a poorhouse, a religious-run institution often for women who were destitute," Brendan Magee said.
The documents allowed her to become legal after almost 70 years but she still has to receive an official passport.
"The sisters, and all the others, they did so much," Stout said. "It was a lot of wear and tear, and with the state cutting me off, it was a real struggle. I'm not feeling sorry for myself. I'm glad it's over, but you don't forget."
Now she is part of the senior Irish scene in Chicago.
"I didn't want to go at first," said Stout. "I didn't want to be around a bunch of old fogies. Now I don't want to miss it. I really enjoy the people there. They've taken me to see (the singing group) Celtic Thunder. But I still like the blues, and Jerry Butler."
Soon her American citizenship will arrive, ending an incredible odyssey that began on an emigrant ship in 1923.
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination”...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- How the Irish celebrate Christmas has changed...
"RECOVERY" My Arse The Country is in so much debt just about paying interest while borrowing 1 bl per month They have just been caught robbiThe New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-praised economic recovery
A bit of sleight of hand, I think. Rather than look into cleaning up the economy in the US, they'd rather try to find someone worse off. I wonder if tOffensive NFL sign outside restaurant just a symptom of a larger problem
Hi Chuck, if we get rid of red, what will Carl Rove do? After all it was his idea to associate red with the Republican Party.How Christmas was in my father’s time
I don't mean to be rude but I am aghast as to why your Father walked barefoot in the middle of Winter & also such a distance as every small villag