Ireland's Eye: What's going on in the old sod this week
A look at news from around Ireland
AN estimated 1,500 signatures have been collected in recent days on a petition in support of jobs growth in Ballina following the local authority’s decision to refuse planning permission for a proposed McDonald’s drive-thru in the town.
The planning refusal sparked major debate in Ballina, where many felt angered at the council’s refusal of a project that proposed to create up to 140 jobs through construction and operation.
At least two new Facebook pages have been established as a result. The McDonalds 4 Ballina page has attracted 385 likes and generated huge debate from those pro and against the establishment of the proposed drive-thru restaurant on the site of the former Deanwood Hotel at Bury Street.
Since then, a formal Jobs for Ballina community campaign has been initiated in support of all new businesses in the town. It also has a Facebook page (with 175 likes) and has been undertaking the petition in support of job creation both online and on the streets of Ballina in recent days.
Many of those posting on the new Facebook pages have directed their anger at elected members and the planners of Ballina Town Council.
Ballina-based Facebook users are not the only ones angered at the decision to refuse planning for the major project.
Matt Farrell, chairman of Ballina Trades Council, said his organization is contemplating organizing a public protest.
A statement issued by the Trades Council said,
"At a time when Ballina has over 3,300 people unemployed, it is of worry that a development that would provide employment to approximately 70 people during the building phase and a further 70 people when the business opens has been rejected.
"We accept that there are some legitimate concerns that need to be addressed, but we fear not enough emphasis has been placed on the potential positive impact this development could have for our town,” said the statement.
No comment was available from Ballina Town Council on the matter as the McDonald’s project remains in the planning process until such time as the deadline for appeals of the decision passes on January 19.
A STAGGERING 60% of Irish people are now overweight or obese and are gaining an average of one to four pounds per year, which never naturally comes off.
- Boston immigration center apologizes to young...
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Justice Minister hangs on as Shattergate...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- Tea party favorite Steve King blames Ronald...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- Sleazy secrets and the American Dream of...
- ‘Quiet Man’ star Maureen O’Hara says John...