Ireland celebrates Arthur’s Day with one hell of a nationwide party – again
Free Guinness and top class acts make for very special holiday - VIDEOS
It’s almost official – Arthur’s Day is now all but a national holiday in Ireland as the nation celebrated the pint of plain once again on Thursday.
Thousands of revellers raised a glass in honor of Arthur Guinness at 17.59 as the third annual festival took center-stage across the country.
Drinkers lapped up a free pint of the black stuff all across Ireland as the Guinness group made their new day count for charity as well.
This year the Diageo group set-up a Facebook campaign to raise up to $700,000 for charitable causes with the company making a donation every time drinkers ‘checked-in’ via their mobile phone or laptop.
“It is a new idea and it has really taken off,” said a company spokesman as tourists and locals alike paid homage to Ireland’s favourite tipple.
Stout drinkers weren’t the only ones celebrating as the annual Arthur’s Day festivities drew a host of world class entertainers to Dublin.
Big names like the Scissor Sisters, Ed Sheeran, The Saturdays, The Stereophonics and singer Aloe Blacc joined lesser known local acts at venues all across Ireland’s capital city.
As well as playing the big theatres and concert halls, the acts also performed secret gigs at pubs all across Dublin to the delight of regulars.
Diageo have yet to confirm plans for the 2012 Arthur’s Day but one thing is for certain – the date is now a fixture on the Irish calendar.
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Bill O'Reilly claims the Obama administration...
- Census shows more Catholics than Protestants...
- Enda Kenny rejects Dublin Archbishop's claims...
- Horse disemboweled and sliced open in horrific.
- Young people worst affected by Ireland’s...
- New reports suggest Robert F Kennedy’s wife...
- Gerry Adams accuses British government of...
- 'You attack one Muslim, you attack all Muslims'
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate...