Illinois priest forced to call 911 after incident with handcuffs and gag goes wrong
Church refuses to explain Fr Tom Donovan’s embarrassing predicament
The Catholic Church in Illinois has yet to explain how a priest called 911 after getting stuck in handcuffs and a gag inside a rectory.
Fr Tom Donovan told emergency services: ‘I’m going to need help getting out before this becomes a medical emergency.’
The priest, from the St. Aloysius church in Springfield, is on leave after the embarrassing incident according to the Daily Mail.
The paper’s website says the diocese is refusing to offer up an explanation for what exactly happened.
The pastor is on a leave of absence after he was forced to call 911.
The incident took place last November but has only come to light now.
The paper has gained access to a copy of the 911 call released by the Sangamon County Emergency Telephone System Department.
On the tape the priest’s muffled voice can be heard asking for help.
On arrival police discovered a gag covering the priest’s mouth.
The tape features Fr Donovan saying: “I’m going to need help getting out before this becomes a medical emergency.”
The dispatcher asks: “You’re stuck in a pair of handcuffs?’”
Fr Donovan replies: “‘I was playing with them and I need help getting out.”
The report says that Fr Donovan was alone in the front room of the rectory. No explanation has been made available by the priest or his diocese.
Kathie Sass, a spokeswoman for the Diocese of Springfield, told the Illinois Times that Donovan’s request for a leave of absence was accepted by Bishop Thomas Paprocki after the incident.
Sass refused to disclose if Donovan was staying at a church-affiliated location.
She also declined to offer up an explanation for how Father Donovan ended up calling 911.
- Michelle Obama and daughters trace their...
- Good Morning America says Sasha and Malia...
- Former church spokesman criticised for using...
- Daily Mail unloads on 'drunken young' Paddys...
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at...
- Sinn Fein deputy leader speaks out against...
- Body of Irish immigrant tossed in medical...
- North’s Minister for Finance accuses Republic...
- Irish kids receive almost $700 in Holy Communio
- Shock as Irish priest praises Prime Minister’s.