‘I will never be afraid again – losing Gracie was the worst thing that can ever happen to me’ says Lynn McDonnell
Heartbroken parents pay tribute to Gracie McDonnell at packed Mass
Gracie McDonnell’s mum Lynn has told mourners she will never fear anything again – losing her beloved daughter was the worst thing that can ever happen to her.
Her dad Chris told Gracie’s funeral Mass that his daughter taught him to love.
And he apologized to the six-year-old for not being there to protect her when Adam Lanza opened fire at the Sandy Hook Elementary School.
Mum Lynn placed her daughter’s favorite stuffed animal on the lectern at St. Rose of Lima Catholic Church.
She then told mourners: “I can never be afraid of anything again, because losing my daughter was the worst, most painful thing that could ever happen to me.
“Gracie made me fearless. We were best friends, soul mates and sister girls.”
Heartbroken dad Chris McDonnell told the packed church: “I am so, so sorry for not being there to protect you Gracie on that horrible day.”
Irish-American Chris then thanked her for bringing so much love, life and laughter into his life. He said: “You taught me how to love.”
Grace was one of the 20 dead students remembered when church bells rang out 26 times across America on Friday as the nation remembered those killed in the Sandy Hook Elementary School.
Little Gracie’s funeral mass saw her cousins wear pink in her honor while the priest celebrated the Mass in a pink vestment.
Lynn McDonnell said her daughter loved ‘exploring the beach with her Nana, playing in the ocean, and dressing up in pink, purple and sparkles.'
She added that their secret handshake was a bedtime ritual that took 10 minutes.
Reports say sobbing mourners sang the song ‘Amazing Grace’ as the grieving family members exited the church.
Bagpipers played as the little girl’s body was taken away.
- Good Morning America says Sasha and Malia...
- Sinn Fein deputy leader speaks out against...
- Former church spokesman criticised for using...
- Michelle Obama and daughters trace their...
- President Obama’s visit to North comes at...
- Daily Mail unloads on 'drunken young' Paddys...
- Body of Irish immigrant tossed in medical...
- Dating website for ‘homosensible’ Catholic...
- Michelle Obama and daughters visit Glendalough.
- Shock as Irish priest praises Prime Minister’s.