Hurling great DJ Carey recovers after suspected heart attack
Legend rushed to Kilkenny hospital
Hurling legend DJ Carey is recovering in hospital after a suspected heart attack. The Kilkenny great was rushed to his local hospital after suffering the heart attack on Tuesday.
The 41-year-old collapsed in the public waiting room of a police station and was taken to St Luke’s Hospital in Kilkenny.
Staff at the hospital said that Carey is ‘comfortable’ as he recovers.
His mother Maura Carey told the Irish Examiner that his family did not know ‘anything definite’ about the cause of his illness.
“He is not in immediate danger. He’s comfortable, that’s all that we know,” she said.
The five-time All-Ireland winner is regarded as one of the greatest hurlers ever.
He has been in the news recently after his high profile split with partner Sarah Newman, the entrepreneur and former TV show star.
The pair owe over $12million to Irish banks after a series of failed property investments.
The non-smoker and non-drinker has also been quizzed by police over allegations of fraud at his former companies.
Kilkenny supporters have offered Carey their support in the wake of his heart attack.
Denis Quinlan, chairman of the Young Irelands club in Gowran where Carey still plays, told the Irish Examiner that all his friends were wishing him a speedy recovery.
“He had some sort of a turn as far as we can gather. But he’s seemingly comfortable in hospital. Whatever happened, we wish him a quick recovery,” said Quinlan.
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...
- Irish finance minister says US Senate are...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Calls for Irish Justice Minister to resign...
- Irish anti-austerity protesters chain themselve