House Judiciary Committee plans to have US Diversity Visa cancelled
The 'struck by lightening' visa now too generous for the GOP
The Republican controlled House Judiciary Committee has voted to send a bill abolishing the State Department’s annual diversity visa lottery to the full House.
The new bill would end the so-called 'struck by lightening' Diversity Visa Lottery program (which, some critics contend, you have a better chance of being struck by lightening than actually winning).
The Diversity Visa provides an estimated 55,000 visas to would-be immigrants from around the globe, who are selected at random in an annual drawing.
But Republican Congressman Bob Goodlatte of Virginia told The Washington Post yesterday that he believes the program is riddled with problems, including fraud - and even has the potential to be exploited by terrorists.
Democrats pops the bill, and argue that eliminating the visa lottery would further reduce the overall number of visas available to all immigrants.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination”...
WE love the $ simpleSpanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air hostess calendar
She must be the only "holier than thou " judge in EspanaDunnes Stores protesters attended Nelson Mandela’s funeral
Another of of misguided socialist idiotsThe New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-praised economic recovery
delusional Proud Canadian--there are not enough rich left after the devastation to make any real difference- so rethink your ideas--I don't think you