Gay Mitchell would rejoin the Commonwealth if it meant an United Ireland
Martin McGuinness publicly rejects Queen Elizabeth again at presidential debate
Fine Gael’s presidential candidate Gay Mitchell has said he would join the British Commonwealth in exchange for a United Ireland.
Speaking on The Last Word’s debate on Today FM, alongside the other six presidential hopefuls, he said he would be “disposed” to the idea if it meant having a 32-county republic.
He told the host Matt Cooper, “If it was the price of a United Ireland I would be disposed towards the idea...We have to stop thinking like this – we have blinkers on our heads all the time, we all think that we’re inclusive, so long as we’re inclusive of our own narrow view.”
Mitchell’s comments were an attack at McGuinness who called the Commonwealth “wrong”.
McGuinness said, “Gay is saying that he would accept that the Queen of England would have precedence over the Irish president.
“I don’t accept that at all. I believe that would be totally and absolutely wrong.”
Speaking after the debate, Mitchell said the Commonwealth had evolved since 1949, when Ireland left. He described it as a trading bloc that doesn’t necessitate the Queen as its figure head.
Mitchell said “The majority of members are republics – 33 – and five countries have different monarchs…Mandela led South Africa back to the Commonwealth in 1994. Regardless, it is a matter for the government.”
McGuinness called the debate pathetic.
Mary Davis also took issue with some of Mitchell’s comments about Ireland hosting “some Olympics”.
Davis, who organizes Ireland’s Special Olympics, said “We were a group of people who got together and actually did something.” She added that the President of Ireland should celebrate diversity.
- Horse disemboweled and sliced open in horrific.
- Senator Schumer says Irish deserve a separate...
- Irish footballer under investigation after...
- Irish politician refuses to back down on...
- British emigrant group calls on government...
- Chilling testimony before congressional hearing
- Bill O'Reilly claims the Obama administration...
- Delphi Lodge takes responsibility for turning...
- 'You attack one Muslim, you attack all Muslims'
- Sex addiction on the rise says Dublin Clinic...