Gay Michael Collins claim in new book is dismissed by family
Senator David Norris allegation based on no evidence they say
“I am bemused by Mr Norris’s claim, I don’t know how much David Norris was able to check it out.”
She did admit that contemporary accounts ofCollinswrestling male friends to the ground – horseplay as she put it - may have contributed to rumours that he was gay.
But she also pointed out to the Irish Independent that there was evidence that he was popular with women . She said: “He was engaged and had a girlfriend.”
The Sunday Times newspaper reports that a number of high-profile historians have also dismissed the Norris claim.
UCD professor of modern history Diarmuid Ferriter suggested: “It is wishful thinking on David’s part.
“I’ve never seen any kind of proof that Collinswas ever sexually active. I believe he died a virgin.”
Collins’s biographer Tim Pat Coogan said: “I found in the course of my research that the IRA commander was aggressively heterosexual and that he had several more women friends than people realised.”
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Photo shows Irish revolutionaries three years...
I notice the attack the messenger crowd are out in force since they can't deny the message. The so-called war on Christmas is a petulant overreactionPhoto shows Irish revolutionaries three years before Easter Rising
Could this man be one of the unnamed, Micheal Mac Ruairi, origially from Mayo,lived in the gate lodge at Pearse's school, and worked in the school.Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
Cahir, You made yourself seem to be a petulant child. All those words, to say I hate Palin. As I read them I couldn't help but think of how it soundedBill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an unrepentant “communist”