Frank McCourt 'winning battle' against canncer
Brother Malachy says cancer is in remission
Photo Gallery: click here
1997 interview: read more
Biography: read more
"Angela's Ashes" author Frank McCourt , 78, is winning the battle against cancer, his brother Malachy said last night.
Malachy, well known in the New York Irish community, said his brother was "a hearty fellow and he's survived worse than this."
Speaking to AP, Malachy said McCourt was suffering from the deadly skin cancer melanoma but that it was in remission.
McCourt, who won a Pulitzer prize for Angela's Ashes, is believed to have been treated at New York's Sloan Kettering hospital which is famous for its cancer treatments.
He is now believed to be at home in Connecticut with his wife Ellen.
McCourt's agent, Molly Friedrich said he was "doing pretty well" and undergoing chemotherapy.
Meanwhile, sources have also confirmed that McCourt has battled the disease in secret for the past year.
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
- Top Christmas Irish ads that will be bring...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
Hello everybody, my names is Cindy Davis Am from Canada i want to give thanks and honor to Dr.ATILA for the great work he did for me, he brought my loTop Christmas Irish ads that will be bring a tear to your eye (VIDEOS)
Niall O'Dowd, as for my typos, can't you tell a bit of irony and parody when you see it?An open letter in strong defence of capitalism to Pope Francis
Quoting Churchill to an Irish audience to make a point is not the silliest part of this sad missive. Like so many "Conservatives" Conboy mBill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an unrepentant “communist”
Obama is not a socialist, that is why you got ACA run by private insurance companies instead of Single Payer. I know he's not a socialist because I am