Former TV presenter Mike Nesbitt elected as new UUP leader
Mike Nesbitt has been elected as the new leader of the Ulster Unionist Party by a ballot of party members in Belfast, reports RTE.
The 54-year-old former television presenter and married father of four defeated rival John McCallister by 536 votes to 129. The battle for leadership revolved around whether to take the UUP into opposition at Stormont.
Said Nesbitt: "I want everyone in this country to get out of bed with a sense of purpose. I want this party to wake up with a sense of purpose."
"I want us to reach out to become the party of choice for every pro-union voter in Northern Ireland, including those who still say they want a United Ireland, but privately accept there is no longer a single reason not to enjoy their continued membership of the United Kingdom."
About 660 people voted out of the 850 who attended Saturday's party AGM in Belfast.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Photo shows Irish revolutionaries three years...
- Bono, Gerry Adams, President Higgins all...
All of the people arguing for unfettered immigration appear to be proponents of open borders. They want to emulate the United States. Yes, we have 50An open letter in strong defence of capitalism to Pope Francis
"The principal author of our Declaration of Independence, Thomas Jefferson, said, “That government is best which governs least" ThisAn open letter in strong defence of capitalism to Pope Francis
Bill Clinton said "It all depends on what the meaning of 'is' is". Teilhard de Chardin, SJ, preached an evolutionary Christian Marxism. CapIrish American teen jailed for up to 60 years for murdering sister's boyfriend
the sentance is way over the top. anywhere else in the world this type of draconian decision would not happen. Manslaughter at most. Carrying a sentan