Floods claim second life as body found in Dublin basement
Rains to ease as capital comes to terms with major storm
The floods that brought Dublin to a standstill have claimed another life after the body of a woman was discovered in a Crumlin basement on Tuesday.
Neighbors became alarmed at the level of floods on Parnell Road late on Monday night and alerted local police.
A preliminary search of the flooded basement proved unsuccessful but a woman’s body was discovered after firemen pumped the basement on Tuesday morning.
The woman’s death follows the discovery of the body of off-duty police officer Ciaran Jones, swept into the River Liffey by floodwaters as he tried to assist stricken motorists on Monday night.
Police were again urging drivers to be cautious as the torrential rain finally stopped on Tuesday morning.
Met Eireann, the Irish government’s weather service, has confirmed that the normal levels rain for October fell in the Irish capital in just 24 hours between Sunday and Monday nights.
Travel chaos ensued with roads closed, train services cancelled, flights delayed and ferries forced to stay in dock.
A major emergency plan for the Dublin region was invoked by Dublin City Council and South Dublin County Council on Monday night.
All cases listed for Dublin’s Court of Criminal Justice were postponed on Tuesday due to damage caused by flood waters and a loss of power.
The iconic Dundrum Town Centre shopping mall was forced to evacuate shoppers and staff on Monday night after the River Slang burst its banks and flowed through the ground level.
The Centre remained closed on Tuesday after management said electricity had been disconnected from the centre so checks could be carried out.
Spells of heavy rain affecting Ulster, Leinster and parts of east Munster are expected to clear on Tuesday night.
- Boston immigration center apologizes to young...
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Justice Minister hangs on as Shattergate...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Sleazy secrets and the American Dream of...
- ‘Quiet Man’ star Maureen O’Hara says John...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.