Families hard hit on day one of Irish Budget – and there’s more to come
Minister Noonan sharpens knife for round two of cuts
Child benefit will be brought down to just under $200 for all children over the next three years.
“We can only deal with the reality that we have. It’s the real figures. That’s the reality we are facing now,” added Minister Howlin.
“I’m certainly not in the business of cutting where I don’t have to. If we can provide as best we can the best social protection network to protect the most vulnerable, that’s the objective of this Government.”
Social justice campaigners have already attacked the measures in the new Budget.
A spokesman for the Society of St Vincent de Paul said: “We know that the proposed increases in indirect taxation that have already been flagged by Government will be much harder to bear for those on low incomes and we fear that the families who have been hit today look set to be hit by tomorrow’s announcements as well.”
Age Action said the 20 per cent cuts to fuel allowance would create huge hardship for the elderly.
More news on the Irish economy from IrishCentral
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Megyn Kelly says Santa and Jesus are white,...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Irish outrage over NY Times pigeon-eating...
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- How the Irish celebrate Christmas has changed...
No, WJB1tex, he did not, but he did worse. It was Washington sent John Adams, Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson to Paris in 1786 to incite the FrMegyn Kelly says Santa and Jesus are white, get used to it (VIDEO)
How stupid can a blonde get? If Santa was Black then he'd come form the South Pole. There are no Reindeer on the South Pole, so who would pull his slMegyn Kelly says Santa and Jesus are white, get used to it (VIDEO)
Jesus -- oh yes - jesus -- he was probably pretty brown skinned but perhaps like Michael Jackson was not happy with his skin colour so had some work dIrish radio presenter suspended after anti-Israeli comments aired on show
Apologies Shuvonn....link is TALI HATUEL should make you smile..regards omar