Disturbing teenage sex trends blamed on 'over sexualization' of young girls
New survey reveals many Irish teenagers are having sex at a young age
Irish girls are more likely than boys to have lost their virginity by their mid-teens, a survey finds.
A new report by UNICEF revealed troubling sex trends among Irish teenagers, according to the Irish Independent.
Twenty percent of girls and 19 percent of boys who had lost their virginity had sex at the age of 15 or younger.
The age at which teenagers first engaged in sexual activity varied by region, with Dubliners more likely to have lost their virginity at a young age. Drinking played a significant part in a teen's first experience of sex. Four out of 10 respondents had their first encounter while under the influence of alcohol.
"For a significant minority of teenagers, often it is too much too young. There is a danger of a loss of innocence," said psychologist Allison Keating, who works with adolescents at the bWell clinic in Dublin.
"We are seeing an increasing tendency for girls to go out with older boys."
She added: "I would be concerned that girls of 12, 13, and 14 are just not emotionally capable of dealing with sex. They are being robbed of a time of their life when they should still really be children. That brings a lot of pressure that they cannot cope with."
Keating blames the media for the over-sexualization of young girls.
"Young girls are now encouraged to be sexually aggressive and almost act like the predators in relationships. Singers like Rihanna desensitise kids to sex as young as 11.
"There is pressure on girls to dress provocatively at a younger age, while boys are encouraged to treat them like sex objects.
"Girls believe that they should be available, but there is a lack of genuine intimacy," said the behavioral expert.
- Irishman John Downey arrested for 1982 IRA...
- Government minister calls for investigation...
- Young Irish woman turned in to U.S. authorities
- Boston immigration center apologizes to young...
- Amnesty International says Ireland’s abortion...
- Nigerian migrants send $653 million a year...
- One in seven people on social welfare in...
- Irish finance minister says US Senate are...
- New book ‘John F. Kennedy - Among the Germans’.
- Top bishops clash over excommunication of...