Despite ailing bar trade British chain set to open 30 pubs in Ireland
Chain currently operates nine pubs in Northern Ireland
A British chain has announced it intends to open 30 pubs in Ireland despite of the closure of hundreds of traditional Irish pubs in recent years.
British chain JD Wetherspoons, currently operate nine pubs in Northern Ireland and increased returns plus a reduction in property prices have prompted them to open bars south of the border.
Group chairman and founder Tim Martin say the group intends to open between three and four pubs in this fiscal year with a view to eventually expanding up to 30 long term.
The Irish Times reports that the group is about to buy the Tonic House in Blackrock, Co. Dublin and they expect to open a bar in Cork in the coming months.
This week the pub chain reported record annual sales and saw profits before tax and exceptional items grow by 6.3 percent to $122 million ( £76.9million)
The group opened it’s first bar in north London in 1979, they now have 886 pubs throughout the UK.
Earlier this week the Drinks Industry Group of Ireland (Digi) announced that almost one pub in the country closed every day.
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination”...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- How the Irish celebrate Christmas has changed...
"RECOVERY" My Arse The Country is in so much debt just about paying interest while borrowing 1 bl per month They have just been caught robbiThe New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-praised economic recovery
A bit of sleight of hand, I think. Rather than look into cleaning up the economy in the US, they'd rather try to find someone worse off. I wonder if tOffensive NFL sign outside restaurant just a symptom of a larger problem
Hi Chuck, if we get rid of red, what will Carl Rove do? After all it was his idea to associate red with the Republican Party.How Christmas was in my father’s time
I don't mean to be rude but I am aghast as to why your Father walked barefoot in the middle of Winter & also such a distance as every small villag