Death of Rory Staunton galvanises nationwide effort to stop sepsis
New York Times says major hospitals join to save children from deadly disease
Meanwhile, a mother in Florida has come forward to say that the publicity around Rory’s case saved her son.
Nate Byington, 12, of Jacksonville, Fla. became ill with a case of swimmer’s ear and was given antibiotics.
His mother Cara Byington said, “His ear continued to swell and became hot to the touch,” she said. She insisted on returning to the emergency room.
“The attending nurse and doctor took one look at him and said, ‘Possible mastoiditis,’ ” she said, an infection that has spread to the bone from the ear, and comes with the possibility of major complications, including sepsis.
“The E.R. doctor told me that we were probably down to hours before he was in serious trouble,”she said.
After 24 hours of intravenous antibiotics, Nate recovered.
“Rory’s story made me inclined to be skeptical when the pediatrician kept, in my opinion, blowing off my concerns,” Byington said. “I will always credit Rory’s parents’ willingness to tell his story for my son’s life.”
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Virginia governor slammed by doctor over...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Bono, Gerry Adams, President Higgins all...
- Irish drugs mule to escape full trial and...
I applaud Mr.Conboy for his insightful commentary on a refreshingly radical Pope who gets it! The version of corrupt capitalism practiced by the Vatic62-year-old Boston priest caught with prostitute behind cemetery
Coyle should leave the priesthood, get married, and have a few kids. Punishment indeed.Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after applying for same-sex marriage license
Neglecting the hungry and aborting babies is also sinful, olovely if you were wondering.An open letter in strong defence of capitalism to Pope Francis
IC has screwed up again. Sorry Dompedro but that is my comment on Dec10,2013,0146 pm est. I wish that IC could correct these mistakes.