Dead climber found on Croagh Patrick may have been there overnight
Irish police are asking for help to identify a climber whose body was found on the summit of Croagh Patrick on Friday afternoon.
The police said the man could have been at the scene since Thursday, reports the Independent.
The victim, a man in his mid-60's, had several fractures on both legs and is believed to have died after a fall.
A post-mortem examination will determine the cause of death, which is suspected to be hypothermia or a heart attack.
The Best Irish Gifts online this Christmas
Because of blustery weather conditions, members of the Mayo Mountain Rescue team and police had to climb The Reek to recover the remains, said a coastguard spokesman.
"The helicopter was proceeding to lift gardai to the scene but because of the weather conditions they had to abort the mission. The weather was horrendous," he said.
"The helicopter crew said it was very dangerous for them. There were severe winds."
Police said they hope to identify the dead man through a car which was located in a car park at the foot of Croagh Patrick.
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Website attracts 80,000 Irish people ready...
- Photo shows Irish revolutionaries three years...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
On the topic of foreigners allegedly undercutting native Irish wages, I have the following to say: 1) I don't think it has been proven that this has bBono, Gerry Adams, President Higgins all remember Mandela as hero
Interesting that of all the people mentioned the only one invited to the funeral was Gerry Adams. All the rest are gate crashing it.The top ten pros and cons of marrying an Irish woman
Hello everybody, my names is Cindy Davis Am from Canada i want to give thanks and honor to Dr.ATILA for the great work he did for me, he brought my loSusan Boyle reveals she has Asperger’s syndrome, high functioning autism
Many thanks for sharing your story, handsome68. It's good to be able to hear about others' experience as life isn't long enough to learn everything we