Catholic Church to make full apology to priest accused in the wrong
Priest returns to duty after false child abuse allegations
The Catholic Church is to make a full apology to a priest wrongly accused of child protection issues.
Fr Oliver Brennan was reinstated as a parish priest in Louth on Saturday night after two years under investigation.
The 67-year-old had voluntarily stepped down immediately as parish priest of Blackrock and Haggardstown in August 2010 when the allegation was made.
The Sunday Independent reports that a police investigation could find no evidence against Fr Brennan.
The paper says the "allegations were totally lacking in credibility."
A Catholic Church inquiry into the allegations concluded they were ‘fabricated and have not been substantiated’.
Fr Brennan was reinstated at a special Mass in Blackrock, just outside Dundalk.
The paper reports that he is expected to be given a full apology by the church.
Fr Brennan said: “My life has been on hold for two-and-a-half years.
“I’m glad this ordeal has ended. I’m looking forward to restarting my life in active ministry.”
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination”...
WE love the $ simpleSpanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air hostess calendar
She must be the only "holier than thou " judge in EspanaDunnes Stores protesters attended Nelson Mandela’s funeral
Another of of misguided socialist idiotsThe New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-praised economic recovery
delusional Proud Canadian--there are not enough rich left after the devastation to make any real difference- so rethink your ideas--I don't think you