Boyzone singer Stephen Gately, 33, found dead
- Video / Stephen Gatley sings "I Believe" / Click here
- Story / Late Boyzone singer first Irish star to come out / Click here
Stephen Gately, a member of the Irish boy band Boyzone, has been found dead in a hotel room in Majorca, Spain while on holiday. He was 33.
A close friend told the press on Saturday night that it appeared that Gately died after going out on the town in Majorca.
“It looks like he went out for a few drinks, then got back, fell asleep and never woke up,” the friend said.
Boyzone manager Louis Walsh told the press: “We’re all absolutely devastated. I'm in complete shock. I was only with him on Monday at an awards ceremony. We don't know much about what's happened yet.”
Dan Wootton, showbiz editor of the News of the World, told Sky News: "This is obviously incredibly tragic news and very unexpected."
Gately, who shocked the pop music world when he announced he was gay, also became a theater star in London's West End, appearing as Joseph in and "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat," and on television in "Dancing on Ice."
He last posted a message on his Twitter page on Oct. 6, writing: "Still busy, lots going on. Focusing on finishing my book next so may be quiet here."
All four remaining members of Boyzone — whch recently reunited — will be flying to Palma, Majorca tomorrow. Boyzone star Shane Lynch told the press: “Me and the boys are flying out in the morning We just need to get over to where he’s passed and work out what we need to do.”
The details behind Gately’s death have not yet emerged.
He is survived by his partner Andy Cowles, whom he married in a civil partnership in 2006.
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination”...
- How the Irish celebrate Christmas has changed...
- Dublin cops foil hit on drug kingpin John...
"RECOVERY" My Arse The Country is in so much debt just about paying interest while borrowing 1 bl per month They have just been caught robbiThe New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-praised economic recovery
A bit of sleight of hand, I think. Rather than look into cleaning up the economy in the US, they'd rather try to find someone worse off. I wonder if tOffensive NFL sign outside restaurant just a symptom of a larger problem
Hi Chuck, if we get rid of red, what will Carl Rove do? After all it was his idea to associate red with the Republican Party.How Christmas was in my father’s time
I don't mean to be rude but I am aghast as to why your Father walked barefoot in the middle of Winter & also such a distance as every small villag