Bloody Sunday victims remembered on 40th anniversary - VIDEO
Families gather in memory of victims four dacades after Derry atrocity
Several events were held in Derry yesterday to mark the 40th anniversary of Bloody Sunday, in which 14 civil rights marchers were killed by British paratroopers.
Relatives and friends of the victims attended a memorial service at a monument in Derry's Bogside on Monday, in which both Catholic and Protestant clergy were involved.
The majority of families refused to partake in a march which re-traced the route of the January 30th, 1972 demonstration.
Kate and Linda Nash who lost their teenage brother William, took part in the march.
Famine immigrants' desperate search for missing loved ones
David Cameron shows class on Bloody Sunday apology
Boxer John Duddy remembers uncle slain on Bloody Sunday
"I am delighted with the turnout," she told the Associated Press.
"But even if it had just been myself and my sister, we would still have a right to march. That is democracy.
“We are going to continue to march for prosecutions, but beyond that, this is a unique march and it should continue for all those who are seeking justice."
In 2010, a public inquiry by Lord Saville declared all the victims innocent and prompted a formal apology by British Prime Minister David Cameron.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination”...
IRELAND FOR THE IRISH !Lack of access to MI5 intelligence hindering garda 'mole' search
There will never be real peace until Mi5 & the british army leave Ireland !I want review of tests on gun that shot me, says IRA spy Martin McGartland
Don't worry they have a bullet for you !Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air hostess calendar
That judge should come into the 21st century. Such an idiotic comment She should be a judge on the Rose of Tralee or Spain has got Talent!