Bishops battling each other in Irish Catholic Church abuse scandal
Galway bishop challenges Dublin Archbishop
- Father Tim / Scandal-ridden Irish Catholic Church is imploding / Click here
- The Wolfhound / Let's have no 'Mass' lunacy this Christmas / Click here
- News / Irish priest who defended sex criminal steps down / Click here
An extraordinary row has broken out between Bishop of Galway Martin Drennan and Dublin Archbishop Diarmuid Martin over the Irish Cathoic Church's child sex abuse scandal.
Drennan has demanded that Martin drop his name from the list of bishops who should resign. He said that his integrity had been put under a cloud when the archbishop called for all bishops named in the report to resign, and he wanted this corrected.
"It certainly would be helpful," he told RTE radio "The people of Galway are saying my integrity is being brought into question by that statement. I can’t clear myself in this case.
“I don’t know whether Archbishop Martin intended that or not but it has put a question mark over my integrity.”
Drennan said he had answered a letter from Martin on the issue.
“Now that I have responded to him and given him the evidence he needs. He might want to reflect on that and what response he might want to make to it.”
Drennan served as auxiliary bishop of Dublin from 1997 to 2005 and was named in the Murphy Report on child sex abuse cover-ups. He said he had nothing to answer for. “As far as I know I handled cases as best I could.
“I feel we have been through a spiral of revenge. I understand that people are angry... but taking the route of revenge is not going to bring any closure.
“There’s a lot of anger out there even among our very best people, and that anger has to be channelled into positive directions,” he said.
He said that the Bishop of Limerick, Donal Murray, was correct in resigning as “he was no longer a source of healing in the diocese, no longer a source of unity. And in that situation any of us would resign.”
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Nelson Mandela once considered a terrorist...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Irish students told “No Irish Need Apply”...
- Website attracts 80,000 Irish people ready...
- Photo shows Irish revolutionaries three years...
Someone's freedom fighter is quite often someone else's terrorist...Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after applying for same-sex marriage license
This makes me sad. I believe he should sue, but he chooses not to. I have a problem with the school's position that Catholics and non Catholics alikePhoto shows Irish revolutionaries three years before Easter Rising
Did any body notice how quick Independent.ie pulled all the negative comments about past & present corrupt politicians that ruined Ireland ?? EndaGay teacher fired from Catholic school after applying for same-sex marriage license
You cannot be a teacher in today's world without caring deeply for the welfare of the next generation and supporting the education systems we work in