Aussie man pleads guilty in Melbourne to murder of Irish woman Jill Meagher
Accused changes plea ahead of surprise sitting of Supreme Court
Australian Adrian Bayley has pleaded guilty to the rape and murder of Irishwoman Jill Meagher in a Victoria court.
The 41-year-old pipe layer had previously indicated he would plead not guilty to the murder of the Louth journalist.
His decision to plead guilty brought about an unscheduled hearing of the Supreme Court in Victoria.
The Irish Independent reports that Bayley replied ‘guilty’ in a soft voice as the single counts of rape and murder of the 29-year-old were put to him.
Justice Geoff Nettle remanded Bayley and he will appear before the court again on June 11 for a pre-sentence plea hearing.
Bayley attacked Meagher last September as she walked home from the pub in Brunswick.
Her body was discovered in a shallow grave 30 miles north west of Melbourne after a six day search.
Jill worked ABC radio in Melbourne and her death shocked Australia and her native town of Drogheda, Co Louth.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
Ireland should capitalize on their economy by conducting bus tours of ghost estates and sadistic horse burnings. I'd go.The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-praised economic recovery
Shooting pigeons and eating them. Horses being burned alive. Ireland sounds great--unless you're one of God's creatures. But let's remember the importThe New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-praised economic recovery
A year on the dole - collecting unemployment benefit - would provide a single man with 9,776.00 Euro at a rate of 188.00 Euro per week. So how Mr. DoGay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay bigots
These folks who do wedding cakes, have based their business on a certain model, specifically, their religious beliefs. They will probably cease makin