Archbishop Diarmund Martin warns against rush to legalize abortion
The Catholic Archbishop of Dublin, Dr Diarmund Martin, has said that the decision to legalize abortion cannot be rushed in the wake of Savita Halappanavar's tragic death.
The Irish prelate said that policies regarding the care of women in troubled pregnancies should be carefully examined by medical authorities.
"If there are problems of a medical nature, then the appropriate bodies, including the Medical Council, have given guidance. And if that guidance is insufficient, they should look at it," he said after a meeting in Limerick to discuss Catholic Higher Education in Ireland, according to RTE.
The Archbishop went on to say the the Catholic Church does not require the life of the mother to be sacrificed to save the child and that both lives should be treated with the same dignity.
He also said he though Ireland had been wrongly portrayed as a dangerous place for women to be pregnant.
Archbishop Martin said Ireland's bishops will discuss the expert group report on abortion next week.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- A Magdalene Laundry US adoptee who holds...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Baby dies in horror birth at Belfast hospital...
- Gay teacher fired from Catholic school after...
- Sarah Palin is saving Christmas
- Families as well as Catholic Church and governm
Curitiba, You ask me "what's the massive difference?" between English and Irish people (in support of your argument that "Ireland is aThe perfect gift for Christmas, a stay at an Irish hotel
I know of one very Irish guest house operated by an Irish couple in Connecticut, near my wife's hometown. She and I have spent a few nights there arouNelson Mandela once considered a terrorist by many Irish political leaders
You should hear in the USA the right wng extremists calling Nelson Mandela all kinds of names and insults...........Why because he is black. These riVirginia governor slammed by doctor over plain cigarette pack rejection
YOur welcome to smoke - and take a decade off you life from lung cancer, throat cancer, nicotine scaring the arteries which provides places where pla