When he isn’t playing for team USA in the World Cup, 26-year-old midfielder Michael Sheehan Bradley plays Major League Soccer for Toronto FC. Here are nine more things you need to know.
1. Bradley was born in Princeton, NJ to soccer coach Bob Bradley and Lindsay Sheehan Bradley, a former college lacrosse star.
2. His dad previously managed the US men’s national soccer team from 2006 – 2011 and is currently the manager of Stabaek in Norway.
3. Bradley has had a wide-ranging international career, playing for Heerenveen, Borussia Mönchengladbach , Aston Villa, Chievo and Roma.
4. Irish on his mother’s side, Bradley has said that Roy Keane is his idol. While on loan to Aston Villa, he told ESPN that Keane was the most complete midfielder of his generation and praised “the way he was able to be the engine and heart of their team and help them be successful was something to aspire to."
5. Thanks to his international career, Bradley is fluent in Italian, Dutch, German and Spanish.
6. His uncle, Scott Bradley, played Major League Baseball for the Seattle Mariners.
7. Bradley is very close to his parents. “They're involved in everything. I value their opinion over anybody's in the world,” he told ESPN.
8. US fans have nicknamed him MB90 for his ability to go full throttle for all 90 minutes of a game.
9. Bradley and his wife, Amanda, a former University of Rhode Island tennis star, have a son, Luca, born in 2012. In his official Team USA video interview, he credits everything to their love and support.