1.2 million Irish court records from 1850 to 1910 now available online
Online records are seen as an untapped resource of Irish family history
This first batch of records is particularly useful for areas of the country where family history records are notoriously sparse, such as Connaught and Donegal.
The reasons for cases being brought before the Petty Sessions Court are incredibly varied, but unsurprisingly, the most common offence was drunkenness, which accounted for over a third of all cases.
The top five offences tried before the courts were:
1. Drunkenness - 33%
2. Revenue/Tax offences - 21%
3. Assault - 16%
4. Local acts of nuisance - 5%
5. Destruction of property - 4%
The nature of these cases was significantly different from those in England. Figures show that the rate of conviction for drunkenness was three times greater, four times greater for tax offences, 65 percent higher for assault, and twice as likely for “malicious and willful destruction of property” than that of our nearest neighbors.
For more information visit www.findmypast.ie.
- Notre Dame sues federal government again...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Caroline Kennedy “selfie” in Japan reveals...
- Smithwick inquiry finds Irish police may...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Ireland wins top spot on Forbes’ Best Countries
- Why Ireland needs to give its emigrants a...
- Pope Francis calls capitalism “new tyranny”...
- Sarah Jessica Parker opens her heart to grievin
if they DON'T want birth control....then MAKE THE CATHOLICS pay the medical bills for the mother and ADOPT those babies, that women are FORCED to carrNotre Dame sues federal government again over birth control
If Notre Dame wants federal dollars it should abide by federal law. This is a democracy not a theocracy. If they want to prevent young woman from acceNotre Dame sues federal government again over birth control
Darao: How shallow can a human being become as to be indifferent to the destruction of family stability, the encouragement of male irresponsibility, aUnionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for new flag for Northern Ireland (VIDEO)
Wipe you ass with the union jack Haas is an idiot as well