We will never forget the 9/11 attacks on New York
The Irish American community was deeply affected by the atrocity, from the hundreds of firefighters and cops who perished to the many Irish on Wall Street, many of whom who were the successful offspring of an earlier generation of cops and firemen.
We can remember the wakes, the incredible outpouring of love and respect for young men like Damian Meehan and his Donegal family, to the amazing religious service for Mychal Judge, the Irish priest whose parents came from Keshcarrigan in Leitrim and who became the face of the tragedy.
The Franciscan Father Judge was a man who spread peace and love wherever he went. He visited Northern Ireland many times with hero NYPD Officer Steven McDonald in efforts to further the peace there.
There were hundreds who died like Father Judge, and firemen and police officers who had given over their life to help others before they were killed.
The legacy of 9/11 is everywhere, even in the warning this week for Americans to be on guard when they travel overseas, and the massive security measures at our airports.
We soldier on, a wearier world and one far less safe since 9/11. We pay tribute, not because we have to but because we want to.
We know that it could have been any of us that awful September day 10 years ago. Let us hope no other generation will ever have to bear such a burden of such an awful day.
- Gay wedding cakes latest target of anti-gay...
- The New York Times questions Ireland’s highly-p
- Offensive NFL sign outside restaurant just...
- Bah! Humbug! The ten worst things about Christm
- No Irish prosecution for man named as world’s...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- An open letter in strong defence of capitalism.
- Spanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air...
- Irish radio presenter suspended after anti-Isra
- Ireland crowned “Top Tourist Destination”...
Comparing baboon and chimpanzee species to "races" of the one species Homo Sapiens is, to borrow Barry's words, "offensive and ridiculoIreland crowned “Top Tourist Destination” for second year by USA travelers
WE love the $ simpleSpanish judge slams Ryanair’s sexist air hostess calendar
She must be the only "holier than thou " judge in EspanaDunnes Stores protesters attended Nelson Mandela’s funeral
Another of of misguided socialist idiots