TIME magazine’s top Twitter Feeds - 15 Irish make the cut
Are you following the most influential tweeters?
Just one week after Twitter’s fifth birthday TIME magazine has announced the "top 140 Twitter feed that are shaping the conversation". We sifted through their results from an extensive survey and found the 15 Irish and Irish Americans who made the cut.
Over the past five years the micro-blogging site has racked up more than 175 million users and over a billion tweets per week. It has become and international forum for sharing information and creating debate.
A brilliant example of how this site has made the world even smaller is the speed at which it allows us to communicate. At the beginning of March Twitter set a record of 6,939 tweets per second immediately after the 9.0 earthquake in Japan, 177 million tweets were posted that day.
Here's a low down of our most influential Irish and Irish american tweeters and their latest tweets:
1. Sarah Palin- former governor of
"Hope FOX re-airs Greta's special. Very good. MT "@gretawire: re-air tape of Ferraro responding, called a racist..fox news channel to see it""
Neil Patrick Harris- actor "How I Met Your Mother"2.
" Muu haa haa! Muu HA haaa haaaaaa! First the book, then... the WORLD!! http://twe.ly/Jfhb"
3. Stephen Colbert- political satirist, writer, comedian, television host, and actor
"I'm glad I did that segment about unions, though I would've walked out in the middle if it spilled over into my break time."
4. Maureen Johnson - children's author
"I have lots of good things coming up for the RELEASE of The Last Little Blue Envelope. SO MANY GOOD THINGS . . . *smiles*"
5. Conan O’Brien - television host, comedian, writer, producer and performer
“Had that dream again last night where the GEICO lizard makes me hold his legs down while he does sit-ups.”
6. Sean Hannity - radio and television host, author, and conservative political commentator
“@LyndaMick & @ElishaKrauss are jealous. RT @AndreaTantaros Me & Bradley Cooper at Fox. Talk about job perks! http://twitpic.com/4eoby7”
Ellen DeGeneres - stand-up comedienne, television host and actress7.
“I think the dictionary people might be spending too much time on Twitter.http://ellen.tv/hKi2w”
8. Ashton Kutcher - actor, producer, former fashion model and comedian
“Primitive communication. As a twin I appreciate this-> http://bit.ly/eRSVff”
9. Jimmy Fallon - actor, comedian, singer, musician and television host
“Thanks so much to my BFF for 6 months @stephenathome for doing this. what a great guy. http://bit.ly/hfu1ST”
10.Bill Maher - stand-up comedian, television host, political commentator, author and actor
“Latest set of #NewRules from last week’s episode of #RealTime(@HBO) - http://say.ly/JgxdmL”
11. John McCain - senior United States Senator from Arizona
“The President made a good case for US involvement in #Libya, but I believe the US must remain strongly engaged 2 force Qaddafi 2 leave power”
12. Rory McIlroy - professional golfer
“Big match at the bears club today. @haza136 and myself taking on @Luke_Donald and camilo Villegas.”
13. Danny Sullivan - technologist
“@fivethirtyeight never mind, found it at http://bit.ly/iayYmf - don't think you're pulling stats accurately. have idea if you want em, DM”
14. Ann Curry - television news journalist and news anchor
“‘My wish for you is that you fall into love like a burning coal that falls into water and keeps burning.’-Rumi”
15. Ana Marie Cox - author and blogger
“Hello, goodbye! Off the grid through April -- @lehmannchris will be providing #puppyporn,#grumblyculturalcommentary in my stead. Much love”
- Bill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an...
- Nelson Mandela was against IRA decommissioning.
- Irish students told “No Irish Need Apply”...
- Hollywood star Gabriel Byrne brands new Pope...
- Dubliner found guilty of vicious Temple Bar...
- Racist incidents in Ireland up by 85 percent...
- Top ten negative terms used to describe Irish...
- Married priests could well be Pope Francis'...
- Unionists regret US envoy Haass’ call for...
- Did Catholic Church insistence on English...
You can always trust Leandros not to let the truth spoil a silly storyIrish radio presenter suspended after anti-Israeli comments aired on show
Eiriamach the bellicose nature of the Muslim states toward Israel is understandable as the only voice for Palestinians. after all the Muslim state areBill O’Reilly slams Nelson Mandela as an unrepentant “communist”
It would have helped if the author could have given us a definition of communism and how by his actions, Mr Mandela fitted the label.Sir Anthony O’Reilly sued by former personal nurse for non-payment of stock
I could NEVER understand Him accepting the "Knighthood" as a Citizen of the Irish Republic unless He has taken out British Citizenship since